Involving stakeholders and experts in international law-making processes
Friday 2 June 2023 – 12.00 - 3.00 p.m.
International organisations and the EU often involve stakeholders and experts in their law-making processes. This allows them easy access to experience and expert knowledge. However, it might also raise questions about democratic legitimacy and bargaining power.
International law-making on different levels is one of the aspects that Tine Van Hof addresses in her PhD. In the context of her PhD defense, we are benefiting from the presence of scholars with experience on these processes to organise this Expert Seminar, to which we warmly welcome you.
Programme – Please register in advance
12.00 noon: Light welcome lunch
1:00 – 3:00 p.m.: Panel discussion
- Laura Carpaneto (University of Genoa)
- Joost Pauwelyn (Geneva Graduate Institute)
- Koen De Feyter (University of Antwerp)
- Wouter Vandenhole (University of Antwerp)
- Thalia Kruger (University of Antwerp).
From their own experience and research into respectively the EU, the WTO, the UN, the Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, and the Hague Conference on Private International Law, the panelists will discuss the following questions:
- What is the role of stakeholders and experts in the international law making process?
- How are the stakeholders and experts consulted or chosen for consultation?
- How can international organisations and the EU ensure that the involvement of such stakeholders and experts does not undermine the democratic process and does not silence or dilute the voices of government representatives of small countries or countries in the global South?
5:00 p.m.: PhD defense Tine Van Hof
“Conflicts between the fields of private international law and children’s rights law. The case of international child abduction”
The defense can be attended in person and online.
Entrance is free, however registration is mandatory and is possible until 30 May 2023. For more information about this event contact prof. dr. Thalia Kruger or Tine Van Hof.
Please register for the expert seminar (and lunch) and/or the PhD defense via this form.