Location: University of Antwerp, Antwerp, Belgium
Dates: 24, 25 and 26 June 2015
A brief history of IOB
IOB is the result of the merger of two previously existing smaller development institutes, the College for Developing Countries and the Centre for Development Studies. This bipolar origin can be understood in light of the history of the University of Antwerp. In 1965, in the framework of legislation on ‘university expansion’, two higher institutes of commercial sciences created in 1852, one public, the other run by the Jesuits, were given university status. That RUCA (Rijksuniversitair Centrum Antwerpen) and UFSIA (Universitaire Faculteiten Sint Ignatius Antwerpen) were created side by side rather than as one university must be seen in the Belgian ‘pillarised’ context of the day, with ideological brick walls separating lay and catholic communities.