Since 1996 the Province of Antwerp has been awarding its Prizes for Development Cooperation on an annual basis. The prizes are intended to promote development studies in economic, political, social, legal, cultural and environmental fields, and in the field of public health and human and animal medicine. All students enrolled in the master (after master) programmes at the University of Antwerp or at the Institute of Tropical Medicine are eligible. The deputation selects a jury which evaluates the submitted theses according to a number of criteria. Each of the winners receives a cash prize of 850 euro.
The Institute of Development Policy and Management (IOB) focuses on the economic, political and social aspects of development policy and management. In its research and policy advisory work, IOB analyses development as an interaction of actors and processes, from the local to the international level. Our educational programmes aim at a mixed audience of students interested in the Global South.
- 15:30 welcome, registration and coffee
- 16:00 Introduction and presentation of the Prize winners by Rik Röttger, deputy for the Province of Antwerp
- Awarding of the Prizes for Development Cooperation of the Province of Antwerp
- Keynote speaker: Prof. dr. h.c. Jan Pronk (Institute of Social Studies, The Hague) on "Sustainable Development: Challenge or chimera?"
- Public announcement of the results of IOB’s 2015-2016 graduating students by Tom De Herdt, IOB Chair
- Speech by an IOB student representative
- Musical interlude
- Opening of IOB’s 2016-2017 academic year by Herman Van Goethem, rector of the University of Antwerp
- Reception until 19:00