The Institute of Development Studies (IOB) at UAntwerp warmly invites you to its annual Opening Event, which includes the graduation ceremony of academic year 2017-2018 and the Prizes for Development Cooperation of the Province of Antwerp.
- 15:30: Welcome, registration and coffee
- 16:00: Start of the event
- Introduction and presentation of the Prize winners by Rik Röttger, deputy for the Province of Antwerp
- Awarding of the Prizes for Development Cooperation of the Province of Antwerp
- Keynote speaker: Joyeeta Gupta (University of Amsterdam) on Sharing our earth: "How climate change and other ecosystems services relate to development.”
- Public announcement of the results of IOB’s 2017-2018 graduating students by Marijke Verpoorten, programme director
- Speech by an IOB student representative
- Opening of IOB’s 2018-2019 academic year by Silvia Lenaerts, vicerector of the University of Antwerp
- 18.00: Reception
Prizes for Development Cooperation
Since 1996 the Province of Antwerp has been awarding its Prizes for Development Cooperation on an annual basis. The prizes are intended to promote development studies in economic, political, social, legal, cultural and environmental fields, and in the field of public health and human and animal medicine. All students enrolled in the master (after master) programmes at the University of Antwerp or at the Institute of Tropical Medicine are eligible. The deputation selects a jury which evaluates the submitted theses according to a number of criteria. Each of the winners receives a cash prize of 850 euro.