University development cooperation plays an important role at the University of Antwerp, as our mission statement clearly explains: "The University of Antwerp wishes to participate extensively in international exchange and partnership programmes in order to offer its students and staff an open, global perspective."
The Development Cooperation Unit in the International Relations Office focuses in particular on cooperation with the global South. The unit keeps students and staff informed about the various partnerships we already have with institutions in the South and it also provides advice about developing and managing projects.
Here are some of the partnerships we are currently involved in:
- VLIR-UOS South Programmes
- VLIR-UOS North Programmes
- City of Antwerp Morocco projects
The Development Cooperation Unit has 3 members of staff and one administrator:
- Karolien Vrints, member of staff, contact for VLIR-UOS North programmes
- Katharina Verstraelen, member of staff, contact for VLIR-UOS South programmes and other projects in Latin America, Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe and Russia
- Marie-Anne Fivez, member of staff, general support to the Development Cooperation Unit
- Karen Peeters, administrator, general support to the Development Cooperation Unit