(Update 2 July 2021)

The Belgian government has recently amended its travel regulations with regards to the Coronavirus pandemic. For the latest information, please check the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the website of the Crisis centre.​

Following measures are currently applicable when travelling to Belgium:

  1. You must complete a Public Health Passenger Locator Form 48 hours before arrival in Belgium.
    If you don’t have a mobile phone, you must fill in the document on paper and keep a printed copy with you.
  2. The PLF will take the last 14 days into account when determining quarantine, also when the zone changes colour.
  3. When coming from a green or orange zone, you do not need to get tested or quarantine.
  4. When coming from a red zone in the European Union, you will need a COVID-certificate.
  5. When coming from a red zone outside the European Union, you will have to get tested on day 1 or 2 after arrival in Belgium if you have a vaccination or recovery certificate (no older than 180 days). Please note that the certificate must be a recognised European or Belgian certificate. If you don't have a vaccination or recovery certificate, you will have to get tested on day 1 and 7 and quarantine for 10 days. Quarantine means preventive isolation in order to limit the possible spread of the coronavirus. Read the specific rules an procedure
  6. Staff and students who were in a very high risk country at any time during the past 14 days are not allowed to travel to Belgium (directly or indirectly). This travel ban is however not applicable to staff and students who have Belgian nationality or who have their main residence in Belgium

For the latest information, please always check the travel measures before travelling to Belgium on the website of the Crisis Centre.

If you have Covid-19 symptoms, you need to contact a GP (during the week) or a wachtpost (during the weekend) in order to be tested.

If you don’t have a GP as yet, you can consult the list of doctors in Antwerp online or book an online appointment with one of the campus doctors . If you need help finding a doctor, as a student you can contact the Office for Students Affairs (STIP) at stip@uantwerpen.be. Staff members can contact the International Staff Office at int.staff@uantwerpen.be.

Staff members

In addition to following all Covid-19 measures, it is compulsory for staff members to register with a local health insurance fund upon arrival in Belgium. Staff members can contact the International Staff Office for assistance with the registration.

Students can find more information about health insurance on the website of the University. EU students are covered by their national health insurance in the home country. Non-European students need to register with a local health insurance fund immediately upon arrival in Belgium.

If you are a student moving to Belgium from outside the EU, you should take out travel insurance for the first month before you leave home. Travel insurance plans usually cover your medical and urgent dental fees, as well as exceptional events such as repatriation and medical transport. They cover potential medical costs until you have permanent health insurance, which you will sign up to once you arrive in Antwerp.