This 4-day elementary course illustrates the basic principles of statistical data-analysis in a non-mathematical way. Each lesson is a combination of theoretical introductions and hands-on computer practicals using SPSS.
The course is offered in-class.
Part 1: Underlying concepts of statistics
- Types of variables
- Descriptive statistics
- Normal distribution
- Parameter estimation
Part 2: Hypothesis testing
- Principles of a hypothesis test
- Type 1 and Type 2 error
- Power analysis and sample size calculation
- Parametric and non-parametric testing
- t-test, anova and non-parametric alternatives
- Chi-square test
- Simple linear regression
Target audience / prerequisites
Pre-and postdoctoral students from all fields of research.
No previous experience with SPSS or statistical techniques is required.
|PhD student ADS||€ 100|
|Academic non-UA||€ 270|
|Nonprofit/public sector||€ 350|
|Private sector||€ 500|
Course structure and time schedule
This 4-day course will take place in November-December 2022, each day from 10am till 4.30pm.
- November 28, PC room M309, building M, campus CDE
- November 30, PC room Z422, building Z, campus CGB
- December 1, PC room Z445, building Z, campus CGB **9.30am-4.00pm**
- December 6, PC room Z446, building Z, campus CGB
All rooms are equipped with a desktop PC with SPSS installed. There is no need to bring your own laptop.