Extension of your residence card is possible through the International Relations Office.
Procedure and documents
You have to submit the following documents:
- a completed, signed and dated information sheet for extension (NEW DOCUMENT);
- a proof of scholarship or a legalized proof of sponsorship (annex 32) / a proof of solvency (blocked university account);
- a recent study certificate for academic year 2018-2019 issued by the University of Antwerp;
- proof of a valid public or private health insurance for Belgium (NEW REQUIREMENT); a certificate of insurability (verklaring van lidmaatschap) in case of a Belgian health insurance provider.
- your results of last academic year. A copy of the ‘transcript of records’ certificate, signed and stamped by the faculty administration. (not required if you are a PhD student or a Visiting Research Student).
Mail the required items as separate documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject name: residence permit extension.
The International Relations Office will send your application file to the Antwerp Immigration Office. After approval an appointment date and time is set for you. You will receive an email with the appointment details.
At the appointment you will present:
- your passport and Belgian residence card (A-card)
- one passport picture
Your complete application file has to reach the Antwerp Immigration Office at the latest 15 days before expiry date of the current residence card.
A late application will automatically be declared inadmissable by the immigration services. A document of inadmissability - Annex 29 - will be sent to you by registered mail.
Add extra days for processing through the university International Relations Office.
Due to the peak period in September and October at the International Students Desk of the Immigration Office, you are strongly advised to send in your application for extension 6 to 8 weeks before the expiry date of your residence permit (31 October 2018).
If you have second session exams in August and September, you have to wait until you have received the official exam results from your faculty administration.
Do not send in your application both through the International Relations Office and through the Immigration Office in Deurne. That will only complicate matters.
You will have to pay 28.40 Euros, preferably by credit card (contact the International Relations Office for urgent procedure prices).