Since 2 March 2015, non-EU nationals have to pay a contribution which is to cover the administrative costs involved with the processing by the Immigration Office of a long stay visa application for Belgium. When submitting the visa application, the applicant who is required to pay the contribution has to demonstrate that the contribution has been paid in full.
UPDATE: As of academic year 2016-17, international students on a scholarship – which is issued by a Belgian university or university college, a Belgian public authority or by the European Union - are exempt from paying this contribution fee. Presentation of proof thereof is required upon visa application.
This contribution is to be paid by the applicant or a third party (family member, acquaintance, sponsor, guarantor etc.) in a designated bank account in Belgium. The proof of payment will need to be provided at the time of submission of the visa application. In the event that an applicant is unable to provide the proof of payment, the visa application will be declared inadmissible.
The amount of this contribution and the exemptions that exist, can be found on the website of the FPS Home Affairs – Immigration Office.
Amount of contribution for students: €160 (increased to €200 from 01/03/2017)
Amount of contribution for employees: €215 (increased to €350 from 01/03/2017)
The cost of the long stay visa (handling fee - €180 equivalent in local currency) will remain and needs to be paid at the time of the application. Being exempt from paying the handling fee does not mean that you are exempt from the contribution for administrative cost.
The contribution will need to be paid in euros in a Belgian bank account in the name of FPS Home Affairs, Immigration Office, details of which are:
BPOST N.V., Muntcentrum, 1000 Brussel
FOD Binnenlandse Zaken, Dienst Vreemdelingenzaken, Antwerpse Steenweg 59B, 1000 Brussel
IBAN: BE57 6792 0060 9235
The reference must be according to the following structure:
- Name & First name of the applicant (as mentioned in the passport)
- Date of birth: day (dd) – month (MM) – year (YYYY)
Therefore: NAME Given name Nationality Date of Birth(DDMMYYYY)
- Any costs involved with the transfer of the contribution are to be borne by the applicant.
- The contribution will not be refunded in case of refusal of the visa or in the event that you pay too much.
- In the event that you have not paid the full contribution, you will be able to transfer the remaining balance within a period of 30 days. If you do not prove that the outstanding balance was paid within this period, the Immigration Office will not refund the partial amount that had already been received and will consider the file inadmissible.