The course consists of three modules: Academic Reading, Academic Writing and Academic Speaking.
The focus of the Academic Reading module is on helping participants develop reading strategies to help them process English academic texts more effectively. They will also practise the skills of skimming, scanning, paraphrasing and summarising. Reading well-written academic texts will also help participants to write good texts themselves.
In the Academic Writing module participants are taught how to write correct and transparent English papers. The course describes the build-up of a good paper and concentrates on improving the participants' use of English by focusing on typical grammatical problems and the use of academic vocabulary and structures. Furthermore, participants will receive personal feedback on a number of written assignments, which raises their awareness of their strengths and weaknesses.
The Academic Speaking module aims to improve the relevant vocabulary, phrases and grammar so that participants’ English presentations will become more correct, effective and professional. Participants will learn by doing through short oral presentations. Individual feedback and error analyses allow participants to focus on their particular problems. At the end of the course the participants will feel more confident when giving presentations in English.
Length: 30 contact hours
Period: Monday 10 till Monday 17 September 2018
Place: Campus Drie Eiken, room t.b.a.
- Monday 10 September: 9.30-12.30 and 1.30-4.30 (6h)
- Tuesday 11 September: 9.30-12.30 and 1.30-4.30 (6h)
- Wednesday 12 September: 1.30-4.30 (3h)
- Thursday 13 September: 9.30-12.30 and 1.30-4.30 (6h)
- Friday 14 September: 9.30-12.30 (3h)
- Monday 17 September: 9.30-12.30 and 1.30-4.30 (6h)
Participants: max. 18 participants (priority is given to students from the Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences of the University of Antwerp until 15 August 2018)
- €100 for students Biomedical Sciences and Biochemistry & Biotechnology from the Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences
- €250 for students Pharmaceutical Sciences and Veterinary Medicine of the Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciencesof and all other students registered or accepted at the University of Antwerp
Please submit the registration form before 31 August 2018