Through consultations and planning sessions with our long-term partners in Africa, Central America and Asia, IOB has developed a vision of its future as a Northern-based development studies institute with strong global partnerships. Through the ‘Going Global’ programme, we aim to globalize our education, research and societal outreach activities, by forging long-term structural cooperation with Southern partners and academics. The globalization of our Master programmes involves organizing modules of our programmes in different regional hubs.
Our strategy takes the different situations and contexts of our partners into account and is based on the following principles:
- Build on existing cooperation: We selected partners with a strong track record of collaboration, guaranteeing impact and sustainability. This resulted in the selection of five partner universities:
- Université Catholique de Bukavu (UCB) (Democratic Republic of Congo)
- Universidad de Cuenca (Ecuador)
- Universidad Centroamericana (UCA) (Nicaragua)
- De La Salle University (DLSU) (Philippines)
- Mzumbe University (Tanzania)
- Tailor-made step-by-step approach: Given the different track records of (cooperation) between our partners and IOB, different capacities and needs exist; hence different, tailor-made cooperation strategies are needed.
- Build synergies between teaching – research – service to society: In order to safeguard the quality of education and ensure the impact of research and education it is crucial to establish and maintain a close nexus between lecturing/research/service delivery. We will strengthen this nexus further through our cooperation with our partners.