Side header image

Career options for academic personnel

There are various ways to develop an academic career at the University of Antwerp.

Junior researcher
Junior researchers usually start as PhD students. You carry out research as a University of Antwerp employee and after a period of about four years you can obtain a PhD. You receive a grant that is exempt from tax. The University of Antwerp may fund your grant. Alternatively, you could receive a personal grant from external organisations such as the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO) or the Agency for Innovation by Science and Technology (IWT).
A doctoral grant is not the only option for working as a researcher. You can also be hired as an employee within the framework of a scientific project. In many cases this leads to a PhD, but short term projects are possible too. As a project worker you will be employed under a contract and will pay taxes like any other employee. Grant holders and project workers are considered non-statutory academic personnel (BAP).
Some junior researchers are hired as academic assistants. Academic assistants are members of the Assistant Academic Personnel (AAP) and combine their own doctoral research with assistant teaching tasks alongside one or more professors. If you wish to focus particularly on teaching, you can work as a teaching assistant. Then, you are exclusively responsible for assisting professors with their educational tasks.
There are several other possibilities for both non-statutory academic personnel and assistant academic personnel after obtaining a PhD. The Research Foundation Flanders and the Agency for Innovation by Science and Technology offer a number of post-doctoral fellowships, or you can continue to work on projects which receive external funding. You can also combine research and education as a doctoral assistant.
Senior researcher
Senior researchers are often members of the Tenured Academic Personnel (ZAP). As a member of the tenured academic personnel you have the title of professor and are responsible for the three academic core tasks: research, education and services. There are various types of tenured academic personnel: tenure track lecturer, lecturer, senior lecturer, professor and full professor. When appointed for a structural mission, you receive tenure after a period of probation. This is always preceded by an in-depth evaluation of your performance.