Work permit

To work as a foreigner in Belgium, you will require a work permit. It is possible that you are exempt from this requirement if you meet certain conditions.

The University of Antwerp will check whether an application for a work permit is necessary for your employment. If this is the case, an application will be made for the ‘Bijzondere categorieën Arbeidskaart B' (Special categories work permit type B).

You will then receive an email from us asking for the particular information necessary for the application. The application procedure at the Department of Work and Migration (Dienst Arbeidsmigratie) takes between two and eight weeks.


International Staff Office Campus Middelheim - building C
Middelheimlaan 1
2020 Antwerp
Tel. +32 (0)3 265 31 49