Only vacancies in English are shown on this page. For a complete list of all the vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch.
Department: Department of Biology
The Department of Biology in the Faculty of Science is looking for a full-time (100%)
Postdoctoral scholarship holder in the field of computational genomics
- This position is part of a funded research project in the Svardal Lab with the aim to uncover the role of structural genetic variants (inversions, transposons) in the rapid adaptive radiation and speciation of Lake Malawi cichlids.
- Potential projects are include
- The detection of structural genetic variants across 100s of species of the Lake Malawi cichlid adaptive radiation, using innovative long and linked read sequencing techniques (haplotagging, PromethION, field-based real-time minION sequencing).
- Using population genomics and machine learning to infer the evolutionary and adaptive history of structural variants across the Lake Malawi cichlid adaptive radiation.
- Click here for more information on potential projects.
- You will use whole genome sequencing and variation data and design and apply computational genomic inference methods.
- Budget for training and field work is available.
- You hold a PhD in Biology, (Bio-)informatics, Computational Biology, or a related field (or you will have obtained it by the time you start work).
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You can speak and write fluently in English.
- You have experience with molecular, computational and population genetics and/or strong motivation to develop further in this direction.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time appointment as a postdoctoral scholarship holder for an inital period of one year, with the possibility of an extension up to a total of three years.
- The position is available immediately; start date is negotiable.
- Your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for postdoctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for contract research staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- You will do most of your work at Groenenborger Campus in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform. The vacancy is open until filled. Click on the 'Apply' button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: your academic CV, the name of two references, and a motivation letter (max 2 pages, in English) explaining which parts of the suggested projects specifically interest you and how your skills and background make you the right person to tackle these specific questions.
- The selection committee will review applications as they are submitted. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.