On this page you will find vacancies for Academic Staff. Only vacancies in English are shown. For a complete list of all vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Save your search and create a job alert on the online application module to be automatically notified of interesting future job openings.More information can be found here.
Department: Department of Political Science
Let's shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an essential service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we help build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Political Science in the Faculty of Social Sciences has the following full-time vacancy:
Senior academic staff in the field of International Politics
You will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s core tasks: education (40%), research (40%) and service (20%). Your role also includes organisational and managerial aspects.
- You provide high-quality education in Political Science and International Relations, in particular in the area of international security, diplomacy, environmental affairs, or ideally at the interface of two or more of these domains.
- You teach four courses of 6 ECTS in the English or Dutch language in the Master International Relations and Diplomacy and in the Bachelor and Master programs of the Department of Political Science – in consultation with the program committee members.
- You play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competency-driven programme components and study programmes.
- You supervise students in their Bachelor and Master dissertations.
- You further develop high-quality scientific research in the domain of international security, diplomacy, environmental affairs, or ideally at the interface of two or more of these domains.
- You become a member of the research group International Politics (IP).
- You initiate new lines of research and coordinate the progress of scientific research projects. You will also participate in ongoing research programmes.
- You acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You publish in international peer-reviewed journals within your field.
- You develop an international scientific network.
- You supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You play a role in providing both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally. You participate in student recruitment, boards and committees, and science communication.
Organisation and leadership
- You accept coordinating responsibilities in education, research and/or service provision and you will contribute to policy.
- Your leadership style is motivating and coaching. You are attentive to your employee’s growth and development processes.
- You hold a PhD in the political and social sciences or international relations.
- You can demonstrate several years of postdoctoral experience (or equivalent).
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies. You have established an excellent research portfolio including leading publications in the field of international politics and especially in your areas of expertise.
- Your teaching competencies are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision. You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the university’s administrative language, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties, you should demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- Female candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time appointment as senior academic staff member (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP). The level of your appointment (lecturer, senior lecturer, professor or full professor) is determined based on your professional experience and academic qualifications. Junior ZAP members are usually offered temporary appointment as a tenure track lecturer for five years, followed by a permanent appointment as a senior lecturer. An appointment as a senior lecturer or higher leads to a permanent position (tenure) after a maximum of three years. A favourable performance appraisal is always required for a permanent appointment.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for senior academic staff. The start date is 1 October 2022.
- You will do most of your work at the City Campus, located in Antwerp’s city centre, in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including Wednesday 8 December 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2)the completed job application appendix for ZAP, (3) your academic CV, (4) a research plan that shows how you intend to integrate your research into the research group International Politics (max. 3 pages), (5) a course content proposal for four courses in line with your areas of expertise, and (6) two recommendation letters.
- We ask candidates to create an ORCiD or a Google Scholar account and mention their ID in the application.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the selection procedure’s next steps. The selection interviews and sample lessons for shortlisted candidates are planned in January and February 2022.
- The selection committee consists of Prof. Dirk De Bièvre, Prof. David Gijbels, Prof. Tom Sauer, Prof. Jorg Kustermans, Prof. Sarah Van de Velde, Mr. Robin Vanderborght, Prof. Nadia Molenaers, Prof. Katja Biedenkopf, Prof. Maria Mälskoo.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Prof. dr. Dirk De Bièvre, chair of the Department of Political Science, firstname.lastname@example.org, Prof. dr. Tom Sauer, spokesperson of the research group IP, email@example.com, en Prof. dr. Jorg Kustermans, chair of program committee of the MA International Relations and Diplomacy, firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation that invests in employee growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religion or belief. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds to apply.