From Friday December 9th up to and including Monday December 12th you will not be able to apply online or complete your application as the system is undergoing maintenance.
On this page you will find vacancies for Academic Staff. Only vacancies in English are shown. For a complete list of all vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Save your search and create a job alert on the online application module to be automatically notified of interesting future job openings.More information can be found here.
Department: Center for Molecular Neurology
Let’s shape the future – University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students; conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Together we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
Postdoc position computational neurobiology lab
We are the Computational Neurobiology lab and address fundamental questions in chromatin organization, epigenetics and brain biology. We develop machine learning approaches for large-scale data integration and reconstruct cis-regulatory networks to understand how a cell “chooses” its fate. In particular, we focus on the role of chromatin organization in neuronal cell fate specification and neurodegenerative disease, aiming to bring results of fundamental research to the clinic.
The project aims to understand the mechanisms underlying neuro-immune crosstalk in AD development and progression. To this end the successful candidate will integrate large single-cell and bulk datasets across multiple data modalities into cis-regulatory networks, with a particular focus on chromatin organisation. The project will require both the application of state-of-the-art statistical and machine learning approaches, and their further development to address the unique complexities of chromatin organisation data.
The VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology has 6 PIs and hosts internationally recognized leaders in the field of Neurogenetics and Neuroinflammation. Current research groups address a broad set of questions related to neurodegenerative diseases of the central and peripheral nervous system, with an emphasis on understanding the genetic etiology and developing diagnostics and treatment methods for these diseases. Approaches range from human genetics and genomics to protein biochemistry and neuronal and glial cell biology, while models include yeast, fly, mouse, and pluripotent human cell systems. Research groups have access to state-of-the-art research and top-notch support core facilities and attract talented international scientist from across the world.
The VIB-UAntwerp Center is part of VIB, a Life Sciences institute with colleague-researchers in cancer, biotechnology, structural biology, immunology amongst others and an extensive set of core facilities and opportunities for technology transfer. We are also embedded within the University of Antwerp.
The candidate should:
- have a PhD in Computational Biology, Bioinformatics,Systems Biology, Mathematical biology or related disciplines
- have excellent communication, organizational and writing skills in English.
- be motivated and independent, while being able to interact effectively with other members of the team.
- Machine learning
- Single-cell data analysis
- Causal Inference
- Graph Theory
- Financial support for at least 2 years. The applicant will be assisted in applying for personal fellowships during this time (Marie-Curie, HFSP, EMBO, National funding organizations).
- Access to state-of-the-art infrastructure and core computing and experimental facilities in a vibrant, world-class research environment operating at an international level
- Dedicated training programs available through VIB and UAntwerp to broaden your expertise and enhance your skillset
- A stimulating and international research environment
- A strong and dynamic network of international collaborators
As part of the VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology and VIB, the applicant will benefit from established collaborations and access to centralized facilities with expertise in genomics, functional genomics and cell biology, proteomics, cutting-edge microscopy, structural biology, technology development, and bioinformatics.
VIB provides a highly interactive environment and ample training opportunities for its researchers. The VIB-UAntwerp Center for Molecular Neurology is located in the city of Antwerp, the capital of Flanders, offering a culturally and historically rich, and ethnically diverse environment.
Starting date: as soon as possible
How to apply?
- You can apply for this job through the online job application platform. Don’t forget to include the following document(s):
- a detailed CV
- a letter of motivation describing your interests and contact details of two referees
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com.
- For more information: please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The University of Antwerp is a sustainable, family-friendly organization which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.