Vacancies for Academic Staff
On this page you will find vacancies for Academic Staff. Only vacancies in English are shown. For a complete list of all vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Save your search and create a job alert on the online application module to be automatically notified of interesting future job openings.More information can be found here.
Department: Department of Linguistics
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Linguistics in the Faculty of Arts has the following full-time vacancy: academic staff (rank open) in the field of English Professional and Academic Communication.
You will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: education (40%), research (40%) and services (20%). Your role also includes organisational and managerial aspects.
- You will provide high-quality education in the field of English Professional and Academic Communication.
- Your teaching role will evolve along with the study programmes and language certificates obtained. The total number of credits of the teaching assignment is 21 credits. The courses you will teach may include:
- English for Business and Economics 1 (3 credits, Faculty of Business and Economics, Bachelor 1, 1 group),
- Professional Communication (6 credits, Faculty of Business and Economics/Faculty of Arts, Master of Multilingual Professional Communication),
- Academic Literacies for Scientists (3 credits, Faculty of Science, Master in Science),
- You are responsible for the coordination of
- English for Business and Economics 2 (3 credits, Faculty of Business and Economics, Bachelor 2),
- English for Business and Economics 3 (3 credits, Faculty of Business and Economics, Bachelor 3),
- 2-English (Partim, 1 credit, Faculty of Applied Engineering, Bachelor 1),
- 4-English (Partim, 1 credit, Faculty of Applied Engineering, Bachelor 2),
- 6-English (Partim, 1 credit, Faculty of Applied Engineering, Bachelor 3).
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study programmes.
- You will supervise students and their Master dissertations.
- You coordinate the teaching activities and the research activities of the ‘English for Professional and Academic Purposes’ section.
- You will expand high-quality scientific research in the field of International Business Communication.
- You will initiate new lines of research and coordinate the progress of scientific research projects. You will also participate in ongoing research programmes.
- You will acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You will publish in leading international peer-reviewed journals and in the relevant specialist literature.
- You will develop an international scientific network.
- You will supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally. You will participate in student recruitment, boards and committees, popular science communication, and so on.
Organisation and leadership
- You will accept coordinating responsibilities in the areas of education, research and/or service provision and you will contribute to policy, also on the level of the department and the faculty.
- Your leadership style will be motivating and coaching. You will be attentive to your employees’ growth and development processes.
- You hold a PhD in Linguistics (Option English), in Translation Sciences (Option English) or in another relevant discipline.
- You can demonstrate several years of postdoctoral experience (or equivalent).
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You have established an excellent research portfolio including international peer reviewed (A1) publications.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision. You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- You have an excellent command of English (C2 of the CEFR)
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- Familiarity with the economy, business life and culture of English-speaking countries and regions is recommended.
- Teaching experience in the field of English for Professional and/or Academic Purposes in higher education, preferably with relatively large groups of students, is recommended.
- You are able to integrate results of recent research into teaching.
- You have a clear vision on the needs in terms of education, research and the combination of these in relation to the courses mentioned above, on bachelor and on master level. In support of this, you attach to your application documents a text in English (1000 words) in which you explain your vision.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time appointment as a member of the Senior Academic Staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP). The level of your appointment (assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor) is determined on the basis of your professional experience and academic qualifications. Junior ZAP members are usually offered temporary appointment as a tenure track assistant professor for five years, which is then followed by permanent appointment as an associate professor. Appointment as an associate professor or higher leads to permanent appointment (tenure) after a maximum of three years. A favourable performance appraisal is always required for permanent appointment.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for Senior Academic Staff.
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- The planned start date is 15 September 2023 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will do most of your work at city campus of the University of Antwerp in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 27 March 2023 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP, (3) your academic CV and (4) a text in English (ca. 1000 words) with your vision on the needs in terms of teaching, research and the combination of these in relation to the above mentioned course units.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please make a note of the following date: 11 May 2023(interview/sample lesson, which may be accessible to public).
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact prof. dr. Lieve Vangehuchten (email@example.com)
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.