Vacancies for Administrative and Technical Staff
On this page you will find vacancies for Administrative and Technical Personel. Only vacancies in English are shown. For a complete list of all vacancies currently open at the university, please consult the vacancy pages in Dutch.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Save your search and create a job alert on the online application module to be automatically notified of interesting future job openings.More information can be found here.
Department: Center for Molecular Neurology
Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Together we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
VIB is an entrepreneurial non-profit research institute, with a clear focus on ground-breaking strategic basic research in life sciences and operates in close partnership with the five universities in Flanders – Ghent University, KU Leuven, University of Antwerp, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, and Hasselt University
The VIB Center for Molecular Neurology (VIB CMN) and the Department of Biomedical Sciences of the Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinarian Sciences has following full-time vacancy: Research lab technician – microscopy technologist
The VIB CMN is one of nine research centers of the VIB. In VIB CMN, approximately 100 scientists work in the domain of complex neurological diseases of both the central and peripheral nervous system (https://uantwerpen.vib.be/). The VIB CMN has a Neuromics support facility focused on state-of-the-art high-throughput genomic analyses, bioinformatic support and histological analyses. The University also has supporting central facilities amongst others for biomedical imaging and proteomics.
The research technician will be embedded in Bio-Imaging Expert Unit and Neuromics Support Facility of the VIB CMN and work with dr. Asselbergh to provide expert support for Bio-Imaging operations.
Your tasks will include
- Operating and maintaining microscopy and histology instrumentation
- Providing technical leadership in microscopy sample preparation
- Technical support related to protein biomarker studies
- Organizing and managing shared lab resources and equipment
- Providing training and assistance in various projects within VIB CMN
- Performing image processing and analysis
- Combining various aspects of bio-imaging operations, including methods optimization, troubleshooting, and benchmarking.
- You have a professional or academic Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in a life science or engineering discipline, or equivalent competences gained through prior work experience.
- Experience or very strong interest in microscopy, including sample preparation, instrumentation and imaging data and analysis
- Knowledge of histological sample procedures, immunohisto or -cytochemistry, mammalian cell culture, microscopy techniques or digital imaging data and software are important assets
- Strong interest to be trained in experiments connected to protein biomarker research (antibody and nanobody production, quantitative analyses of proteins by ELISA or other methods,...).
- Eager to learn, flexible and motivated to work in a dynamic multidisciplinary environment
- Analytical, able to troubleshoot, with a strong preference to work in a supporting role
- Proactive and able to work independently and within a team
- You are proficient in using computers, including standard applications (Windows, MS Office). Being acquainted with basic programming concepts is an asset.
- You have good oral and written knowledge of English.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
What we offer
- An open-ended contract.
- An exciting opportunity to support highly motivated teams in an international life science research environment. You will have the opportunity to develop and grow further within the function, supported by sustained training.
- A gross monthly salary according to the Antwerp University pay scales of the Administrative and Technical Staff. Your entry-level grade depends on your qualifications and relevant professional experience.
- A wide range of fringe benefits including meal vouchers, ecocheques, internet-connectivity allowance, group insurance, an income protection insurance, a bicycle allowance or full reimbursement of public transport costs.
- An attractive holiday system.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Drie Eiken in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this job through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform. Click on 'apply for job', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following document(s):
- a motivation letter describing your interests
- contact details of 2 references (if available)
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next step(s) in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the Frequently Asked Questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The University of Antwerp is a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.