The Antwerp Centre of Medical Genetics has the following vacancy:
Software developer in the bio-informatics domain
The Centre of Medical Genetics is part of the Universty of Antwerp research excellence center GENOMED, and constitutes of a research cluster, in combination with diagnostic and clinical units. Modern genetic studies heavily depend on bioinformatics analysis of large-scale data sets. Several members of the Centre of Medical Genetics are therefore part of Biomina, the biomedical informatics research network Antwerp. Through Biomina, these researchers are represented in ELIXIR, the European research infrastructure which unites life science organisations in managing and safeguarding the increasing volume of data being generated by research. It coordinates, integrates and sustains bioinformatics resources from the different member states and enables users to access services that are vital for their research.
Within the Cognitive Genetics research group, we develop tools to integrate, annotate and interpret genetic data, with the aim of identifying genetic causes of cognitive disorders. Study of the molecular defects can eventually lead to the development of rational therapy. In order to further enhance the features, scalability and integration in the ELIXIR network of these in-house developed software platforms, identified as ELIXIR Belgium node services, we are looking for a Software Developer.
- Further development of the VariantDB platform for the annotation and filtering of genetic data (http://biomina.be/app/variantdb), focused on three main topics:
- Integration with existing Elixir node services through API functionality.
- Implementation of novel features to enchance user experience.
- Optimization of platform performance and scalability using distributed databases and computing infrastructure.
- Maintaining documentation on the performed development.
- Master in computer science or bioinformatics, or equivalent through experience.
- Extensive knowledge of Perl and PHP.
- Programming experience in other languages (R, python, java) is a plus.
- Experience with development of RESTful web services is a plus
- Extensive knowledge of SQL and preferably noSQL.
- Experience with Linux environments.
- Fluent in Dutch and/or English.
- Able to work both independently and as a team.
- Start Date: as soon as possible
- Location : Centre of Medical Genetics, Prins Boudewijnlaan 43, 2650 Edegem
- International environment in an academic context.
How to apply?
- If interested, you can apply be email to dr. Geert Vandeweyer (Geert.Vandeweyer@uantwerpen.be).
- Please provide your CV, a motivation letter and contact details for at least two references.
- Applications will be considered until the position is claimed.
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.