EMAT is constantly looking for high level young researchers to take up PhD or post-doctoral positions on one of its research programs. If you are interested in pursuing a research position at EMAT and you feel qualified to do so, please directly contact the responsible person for the program of your interest.
Technical positions are also available regularly.
The EMAT research group at the University of Antwerp in Belgium is recruiting a PhD student to perform experimental work with a newly acquired fast electron detector for 4D STEM (Medipix 3). The project consists of a combination of experimental technique development with theoretical insight/simulations in how to minimise the required electron dose for (S)TEM imaging of beam-sensitive materials.
You will be expected to perform the following tasks:
- Explore new possibilities offered by the new direct electron detector camera.
- Become skilled in all relevant (S)TEM characterisation techniques.
- Perform simulations to model the image formation and derive optimum setups for specific measurement goals.
- Develop software to perform novel experiments and to treat the large amounts of data that will be produced in such experiments.
- Master in Physics or Materials Science obtained with the grade of distinction or higher;
- Interest for electron microscopy is a prerequisite;
- Excellent experimental, computational and organizational skills;
- Technical affinity with software and electronics is highly beneficial;
- Creative out of the box thinker;
- A good command of the English language is an asset.
- An exciting project in which we will aim to go beyond the state-of-the-art;
- A stimulating, high tech, multicultural and multidisciplinary research environment at EMAT;
- A laboratory equipped with state of the art instrumentation, including 2 aberration corrected TEM instruments;
- The ability to participate in international workshops and conferences;
- A competitive salary.
Enrollment will start as soon as possible. The candidate will be appointed for an initial period of one year but continues for another 3 years after a positive evaluation
Information and application:
Additional information about the vacancy can be obtained from Dr. L. Covaci, Lucian.Covaci@uantwerpen.be, University of Antwerp, Groenenborgerlaan 171, B-2020 Antwerp, Belgium.
Interested applicants should send their Curriculum Vitae, the names of two professional referees, a summary of their Master thesis and a cover letter stating their motivation to Dr. L. Covaci.
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.