EMAT is constantly looking for high level young researchers to take up PhD or post-doctoral positions on one of its research programs. If you are interested in pursuing a research position at EMAT and you feel qualified to do so, please directly contact the responsible person for the program of your interest.
Technical positions are also available regularly.
The EMAT research group at the University of Antwerp in Belgium is recruiting a PhD student to join a research project on atomic resolution electron tomography. This project is part of an ERC research grant. The project will combine the use of state-of-the-art electron microscopy and modern computational techniques. More information on the project can be found at http://ematweb.uantwerpen.be/colouratoms/index.html
You will be expected to perform the following research tasks:
- Acquire electron microscopy data using aberration-corrected microscopes. The focus will be on HAADF-STEM, STEM-EDX, and STEM-EELS
- Develop and/or use different algorithms and software packages to obtain the 3D structure of the material
- Interpret the reconstructions to solve materials science problems in the field of nanophysics
- Master in Physics, Materials Science or Chemistry obtained with the grade of distinction or higher;
- Interest for electron microscopy is a prerequisite;
- Excellent experimental and organizational skills;
- A good command of the English language is an asset
- An exciting project in which we will aim to go beyond the state-of-the-art;
- A stimulating, high-tech, and multidisciplinary research environment;
- A laboratory equipped with state of the art instrumentation, including 2 aberration corrected TEM instruments;
- The possibility to participate in international workshops and conferences;
- A competitive salary, suiting the complexity of the research
Enrollment will start as soon as possible. The candidate will be appointed for an initial period of one year, but continues for another 3 years after a positive evaluation
Additional information about the vacancy can be obtained from Dr. L. Covaci, firstname.lastname@example.org, University of Antwerp, Groenenborgerlaan 171, B-2020 Antwerp, Belgium.
Interested applicants should send their Curriculum Vitae, the names of two professional referees, a summary of their Master thesis and a cover letter stating their motivation to Dr. L. Covaci by 31st of May 2017.
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.