The Urban Studies Institute (USI) at the University of Antwerp, Belgium, conducts interdisciplinary research on urbanization and urban issues. It offers a platform for sociologists, historians, planners, engineers, geographers and transport economists, ecologists and health scientists, and cultural, communication and literary scholars who strongly invest in an integrated approach. Research at the institute includes issues related to sustainability and the urban environment, the urban metabolism and the relation between nature and urban infrastructure; the urban economy and the related issues of inequality and mobility; political participation, civil society, and solidarity; urban identities, citizenship and the representation of the city; and immigration, integration and mechanisms of inclusion and exclusion. The historical dimension is important for the integration of the different disciplines at the USI.
For the disciplines and research groups involved: see our website.
The USI is currently looking for two full-time visiting scholars for a short term research stay at the University of Antwerp from 1 January 2019. The selected scholars will be offered the opportunity to conduct their research at the USI and to participate at the institute’s research activities. They will be facilitated to 1° communicate their research plans and results to the interdisciplinary research community of the USI, 2° receive feedback from a select interdisciplinary group of scholars, and 3° enter into an intensive dialogue with a broad range of disciplinary approaches.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a doctoral degree (PhD) and have a track record in research on urban issues.
- You have experience with multidisciplinary research.
- You commit to presenting your research and research results in at least one seminar and one guest lecture for students and to prepare either a project application or a publication in collaboration with one of the USI-members.
- facilities to conduct your research at the University of Antwerp (desk space, log-in, library access, etc.);
- the possibility to fully participate in the research activities (seminars, master classes, lectures, …) of the USI and all the research groups involved;
- the possibility to communicate your own research to the members of the institute and of the research groups involved;
- support in finding lodging, issues related to travel documents, etc.
- €1250 monthly expenses, plus the recovery of your travel expenses.
How to apply?
- Submit your application online until 4 November 2018 with your CV and motivation.
- Indicate when you would be able to come and for how long (one to three months).
- More information about the online application form can be obtained from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions about the profile and requirements, please contact Prof. Dr. Bert De Munck, Director of the Urban Studies Institute, email@example.com, tel. +32 (0)3 265 42 68.
- For administrative questions, please contact Tinneke De Bock, International Staff Office, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +32 (0)3 265 31 49.
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.