imec is the world-leading research and innovation hub in nanoelectronics and digital technologies. The combination of our widely acclaimed leadership in microchip technology and profound software and ICT expertise is what makes us unique. By leveraging our world-class infrastructure and local and global ecosystem of partners across a multitude of industries, we create groundbreaking innovation in application domains such as healthcare, smart cities and mobility, logistics and manufacturing, and energy.
As a trusted partner for companies, start-ups and universities we bring together close to 3,500 brilliant minds from over 70 nationalities. Imec is headquartered in Leuven, Belgium and also has distributed R&D groups at a number of Flemish universities, in the Netherlands, Taiwan, USA, China, and offices in India and Japan. All of these particular traits make imec to be a top-class employer.
University of Antwerp – imec IDLab Research group
The IDLab research group of imec and the University of Antwerp performs fundamental and applied research on internet technologies and data science. The overall IDLab research areas are machine learning and data mining; semantic intelligence; distributed intelligence for IoT; cloud and big data infrastructures; multimedia coding and delivery; wireless and fixed networking; electromagnetics, RF and high-speed circuits and systems. Within Antwerp, IDLab specifically focuses on wireless networking and distributed intelligence. IDLab has a unique research infrastructure used in numerous national and international collaborations.
IDLab collaborates with many universities and research centres worldwide and jointly develops advanced technologies with industry (R&D centers from international companies, Flanders’ top innovating large companies and SME’s, as well as numerous ambitious startups).
For further development of the IDLab distributed intelligence research cluster, we are looking for a junior researcher in the domain of mathematics of machine learning.
- You have or will soon obtain a Master of Science degree, preferably in Mathematics, Applied mathematics, Computer Science, or Physics, Engineering with strong background on numerical analysis and computation.
- You have a profound interest in machine learning algorithms and related computational methods. Expertise in (semi-)supervised learning for artificial/deep neural networks and related iterative methods is an asset.
- You have experience with mathematical programming and related tools/software including solvers and numerical analysis/calculation, to realize numerical validation and evaluation experiments. Knowledge of nonlinear and/or stochastic programming is an asset.
- You are a team player and have strong communication skills.
- Your English is fluent, both speaking and writing.
- You are conducting research in the distributed intelligence team, analyzing and enhancing existing algorithms and creating new ones (overcoming the limits of sequential backpropagation methods), with focus on generalization and robustness properties.
- You will implement novel distributed machine learning algorithms, develop related computational methods and conduct experiments to compare the new algorithms with existing state-of-the-art methods
- You will write detailed evaluation reports on the developed algorithms/methods and executed experiments, and publish at international conferences and journals
- You will showcase the results in the framework of European and national research projects.
- Type of contract: full time
- Employment: temporary assignment for 12 months with possible further extension or (after positive evaluation) opportunity for PhD track
- Application requirements: CV and motivation letter
- Location: Antwerp
How to apply
- Applications should consist of
- A motivation letter
- At least one reference to contact
- Full CV
- All applications need to be send to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “Mathematics of machine learning junior researcher application”.
- More information about the position can also be obtained through email@example.com.
- Candidates with an interesting profile will be contacted for an interview (skype for international candidates).
- The position will be filled as soon as possible.
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.