PhD position, First-principles study of the corrosion of UO2
Within the EMAT research group at the Faculty of Science (University of Antwerp) a PhD position is available to study the corrosion of UO2 by means of first-principles electronic structure calculations, under the supervision of Prof. Dirk Lamoen.
- You perform first-principles electronic structure calculations within density functional theory and many body perturbation theory to study the oxidation of UO2 towards U3O8 and the influence of this oxidation on the structural, electronic and thermodynamic properties.
- You prepare a PhD thesis in Physics or a related field.
- You have a limited participation in the teaching activities within the Department of Physics.
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project of the assignment.
- You present your work at national and international workshops and conferences.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a Master degree in Physics, Materials science, or equivalent.
- You can submit outstanding academic results.
- You have an excellent background in Solid State Physics, Quantum Mechanics and Many-Body theory.
- Hands-on experience with High Performance Computing and the Python programming language is a plus.
- Good presentation and writing skills in English are required.
- You demonstrate a strong motivation for computational and theoretical physics.
- You are creative, conscientious and have the ability to think analytically and to work independently.
- a doctoral scholarship for a period of 1 year, renewable for 3 years after a positive evaluation of the PhD candidate;
- a close collaboration with the Belgian Nuclear Research Centre (SCK•CEN);
- a competitive salary;
- excellent computing facilities.
How to apply?
- Please submit your motivation letter, CV, summary of your Master and/or PhD thesis, a list and grades of the courses that you took during your studies, and names of 2 professional referees as one single PDF file uploaded on the following Application Submission page.
- The position will be filled as soon as an appropriate candidate is found.
- Additional information on the position can be obtained from: Dirk Lamoen, tel. +32 3 265 3316, Dirk.Lamoen@uantwerpen.be.
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.