The Faculty of Sciences is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy in the Department of Mathematics and Computer Science for a
Bioinformatics Support Coordinator
Biomina (biomedical informatics network Antwerp) is a multi-disciplinary consortium that unites life scientists and data scientists in the Antwerp region in the area of bioinformatics and medical informatics. To address the rapidly growing needs for bioinformatics expertise in many life science projects, we are setting up a bioinformatics service model.
The Adrem Data Lab (Department of Mathematics and Computer Science) is at the forefront in developing and applying data mining and machine learning methods to make sense of large scale data. A large fraction of the group is currently working on solutions specifically tailored to life science data. Many of these data processing solutions are also used in life science research projects.
- You establish and manage a bioinformatics service model towards academic life science researchers as well as to external clients.
- You work towards unification of bioinformatics platforms and infrastructure for genomics, proteomics and metabolomics.
- You organize bioinformatics training, seminars and networking events for researchers in Antwerp.
- You support the maintenance and usage of bioinformatics hardware and software.
- You manage collaborations and contribute to the bioinformatics component in life science research projects.
Profile and requirements
- You have a degree in Bioinformatics, preferably a PhD, or you can demonstrate an equivalent experience.
- You are experienced in data processing pipelines for at least one type of omics data. Familiarity with machine learning and pattern discovery techniques is a plus.
- You have strong programming skills, preferably in Python and R.
- You demonstrate a collaborative, service-oriented attitude. Proven experience in supporting life scientists with bioinformatics expertise is a plus.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You are a team player who can build bridges between disciplines, and you have strong interdisciplinary communication skills.
- You are fluent in academic English (speaking and writing).
- a contract according to your qualifications for a period of one year, with a possibility of renewal, within the Adrem team and the biomina consortium;
- the starting date of the appointment is January 1, 2019, but can be adapted to the candidate;
- an exciting, dynamic and stimulating multi-disciplinary working environment in an enthusiastic, fast-growing team;
- plenty of opportunities to improve and extend you skill set, in diverse areas, ranging from new omics data processing techniques to data science and AI.
How to apply?
- Interested candidates are invited to send a strong motivation letter highlighting relevant previous work, a detailed CV (including honours, grades, skills, publications, …) and contact info of two references to Kris Laukens (email@example.com). Please mention ‘Coordinator_BIOMINA2019' in the subject of your mail.
- A pre-selection will be made amongst the submitted applications.
- More information about the application form can be obtained from prof. Kris Laukens (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.