As part of its dynamic research policy and supported by the possibilities offered by the Flemish Government through the resources of the Special Research Fund (BOF), the Faculty of Arts is seeking to fill a full-time vacancy in the Department of Applied Linguistics/Translators and Interpreters for a
Research professor (TTZAPBOF) in the area of Video Game Localisation
The position entails duties in the domains of teaching, research and academic service to society. Your main activity will be scientific research for a period of five years (the duration of the temporary appointment in tenure track).
- You will develop scientific research in the area of Video Game Localisation as a member of the departmental research group TricS (Translation, Interpreting and Intercultural Studies).
- You will acquire and manage national and international external research funds.
- You will initiate and supervise PhD research within the area of your expertise.
- You will offer research support, fulfil coordinating functions of an academic nature and offer research-based service to society at large.
- You will teach one elective course in the Master in Translation: “Localisation with focus on video games”.
- You will contribute to the development of international research cooperation with other research groups within and outside the university.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a doctorate degree (PhD) in computer technology, linguistics, letters, translation studies or equivalent with a strong specialisation in videogame localisation.
- You have a minimum of 2 year experience on postdoctoral level at the closing date of the vacancy.
- You have an international academic CV and carry out qualitatively outstanding academic research in the domain of video game localisation within the broader field of (audiovisual) translation studies.
- Your academic qualities are in conformity with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- Your approach to teaching is in compliance with the educational vision of the University of Antwerp.
- You have leadership skills or the potential to develop them.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You are a native or near-native speaker of Dutch or English. If you do not have Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch within five years of appointment. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members on an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
We are offering
- a full-time position as a lecturer as a five-year temporary appointment within the tenure track. This position will lead to an immediate permanent appointment as a senior lecturer if your performance is assessed favourably on the basis of previously determined and publicly announced evaluation criteria. After the permanent appointment another period of five years is given with limited lecturing duties in order to strengthen the research curriculum;
- in case of equal qualifications, priority will be given to candidates of the underrepresented gender within the domain of science. This priority is not automatic nor unconditional, as the evaluation will always take into account the personal situation of every candidate;
- the date of appointment will be 1 October 2019 at the earliest;
- a gross monthly salary as a full-time lecturer ranging from € 4.255,06 to € 6.272,13;
- an attractive starter package consisting of a full four-year PhD project and consumables (€30 000);
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, by the closing date 24 February 2019. The application form must be completed and must include a detailed research proposal (mandatory) for the next five years (approx. 5000 words, including a concise description (1 page) of the intended PhD research (see starter package)) and a report of your previous scientific research activities (max. 5000 words). In addition, you must add two abstracts summarising the scientific content of the research plan – a scientific abstract and an abstract in layman's terms – max. 500 words (or max. 4000 characters). All documents must be submitted in English.
- An initial pre-selection will be made on the basis of the submitted applications. The next stages of the selection procedure are specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- The interviews of the candidates resulting from the preselection by the panel will take place on 1 March 2019.
- More information about the application form can be obtained from email@example.com.
- For questions about the profile and the contents of the position, please contact prof. dr. Isabelle Robert (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Further information regarding the specific research status can be obtained from dr. Tim Engels, head of the Research Department Tel. +32 (0)3 265 30 12).
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.