As part of its dynamic research policy and supported by the possibilities offered by the Flemish Government through the resources of the Special Research Fund (BOF), the Faculty of Design Science is seeking to fill a full-time vacancy in the Department of Product Development for a
Research professor (TTZAPBOF) in the area of Ecodesign - Sustainable design for a circular economy
The assignment consists of lecturing duties, scientific research and academic service to society. During a period, limited to five years (duration of the temporary appointment in tenure track), scientific research will be the main activity and participation in education programs will be limited.
- You will expand the scientific research in the area of Ecodesign – Design of sustainable products and product service combinations within a circular economy.
- You will acquire and manage external funding (national and international).
- You will supervise doctoral students.
- In time you will initiate and manage contacts with industry and society in function of building up strategic (basic) research lines and of the valorisation of your research.
- You will offer scientific services. You will take up internal policy tasks, e.g. by participating in the elaboration of the research policy. Internal and external scientific services are limited to 10% of full-time tasks.
- You will be assigned limited lecturing duties in the area of sustainability for a maximum of 3 ECTS per semester (which can be limitedly raised after 5 years).
Profile and requirements
- You hold a doctorate degree (PhD) in Product Development.
- You have a minimum of 2 year experience on postdoctoral level at the closing date of the vacancy.
- You have an international academic CV and perform qualitatively outstanding academic research in the broader field according to the domain involved.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university.
- You have leadership skills (or the potential to develop them).
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You can demonstrate previous attention to domain-relevant topics such as sustainability, interdisciplinarity, innovation and valorisation.
- Your research plan is embedded in the strategic vision of the Research group Product Development.
- If you do not have Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch within five years of appointment. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a course unit coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members on an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- a full-time position as a lecturer in a temporary appointment in the tenure track for a term of five years. This position will lead to an immediate permanent appointment as a senior lecturer if the performance is assessed favourably on the basis of previously fixed and publicly announced evaluation criteria. After the permanent appointment another period of five years is given with limited lecturing duties in order to strengthen the research curriculum;
- in case of equal qualifications , priority will be given to candidates of the underrepresented gender within the domain of science. This priority is not automatically and unconditionally; as the evaluation will always take into account the personal situation of every candidate;
- the date of appointment will be 1 October 2019 at the earliest;
- a gross monthly salary as a full-time lecturer ranging from € 4.255,06 to € 6.272,13;
- an attractive starter package consisting of a full four-year PhD project and consumables (€50 000);
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date 28 February 2019. The application form must be completed, including a detailed research proposal (mandatory) for the next five years (approx. 5 000 words; including a concise description (1 page) of the intended PhD research (see starter package)) and a report of your previous scientific research activities (max. 5 000 words). In addition, you add two abstracts of the scientific content of the research plan – a scientific abstract and an abstract in layman's terms –maximum 500 words (or max. 4000 characters). All documents must be submitted in English.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- More information about the application form can be obtained from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. dr. Guido De Bruyne (email@example.com) (Tel. 0495 50 04 61).
- Further information regarding the special research status can be obtained from dr. Tim Engels, head of the Research Department Tel. +32 (0)3 265 30 12).
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.