The Institute for Development Policy (IOB) of the University of Antwerp wants to contribute to a more just and sustainable world through multidisciplinary academic research, education, partnerships and political engagement. More information about the institute and its activities can be found at www.uantwerp.be/iob.
IOB is seeking to fill a full-time vacancy for
Tenure track academic staff in the area of “International Trade, Migration and Inclusive Development
- You expand the scientific research and outreach of the Institute in the area of development processes, actors and policies. You strengthen the research line on “Global governance and inclusive development”.
- You carry out research and policy advisory work on international migration and/or trade, focusing on their link with more inclusive (global) development. In line with the institute’s focus on multi-level governance, you are expected to articulate your research and policy engagement with respect to the full chain of decision-making from the global level to the local level.
- You are responsible for lecturing duties to the interdisciplinary Master Programs at IOB, including course units on trade and migration as well as course units on quantitative research design, working with data and regression analysis.
- You acquire and manage external funding (national and international).
- You supervise master dissertations and doctoral students.
- You act as a catalyst for interdisciplinary and mixed-methods research and policy engagement in cooperation with members of the research group.
- You strengthen the network of contacts of the Institute with development actors at the international level and in the South. This includes research cooperation, teaching duties, outreach activities in partner institutes in the South.
- You perform tasks of a public goods nature at the level of the Institute and the University, and society at large.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a doctorate degree (PhD) in development studies or related social science disciplines.
- Your work is interdisciplinary and engages with a mixture of methodological approaches.
- Your work demonstrates the ability to make use of quantitative research methods.
- You have several years of postdoctoral experience or equivalent.
- You have an international academic CV and perform qualitatively outstanding academic research, as witnessed by top journal publications about international migration and/or trade with a focus on opportunities for more inclusive (global) development.
- The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You have leadership skills (or the potential to develop them).
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You have an excellent knowledge of English. Knowledge of French is a plus.
- You can meet the statutory language requirements for both the knowledge of the teaching language and the administrative language, Dutch. The University of Antwerp provides the necessary support.
commensurate with the experience and the academic qualifications
- either a full-time position as a lecturer, in a temporary appointment in a tenure track for a term of five years: This position will lead to a tenured position as senior lecturer if the performance is assessed favorably on the basis of previously fixed and publicly announced evaluation criteria;
- or a full-time position as a senior lecturer or higher, generally with tenure. In the case of a first appointment in the academic staff (ZAP), the university board may proceed to a temporary appointment for a period not exceeding three years. This position will lead to a tenured position if the performance is assessed favourably;
- the date of appointment will be 1 September 2018;
- a gross monthly salary ranging for lecturer from € 4.171,55 - € 6.149,03 and for senior lecturer from € 4.776,98 - € 7.504,57;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, on 22 March 2018 at the latest.
- The application must be completed with a proposal of the value added you will bring to IOB’s agenda of research & outreach activities, if appointed (approx. 1000 words). This document must be submitted in English.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place 8 May 2018.
- More information about the application form can be obtained from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. dr. Tom De Herdt (Tel. +32 3 265 54 26; email@example.com).
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.