The Centre for R&D Monitoring (ECOOM) – an interuniversity consortium – is charged with developing a consistent system of R&D and Innovation (RD&I) indicators for the Flemish government. This indicator system is designed to assist the Flemish government in mapping and monitoring the RD&I efforts in Flanders. Within this context, ECOOM is the pre-eminent Flemish institute for the study and application of advanced bibliometric techniques in the evaluation of research, and it has become a prominent research centre with international visibility. At KU Leuven, ECOOM is housed within the Faculty of Economics and Business. At the University of Antwerp, ECOOM is embedded in the Faculty of Social Sciences. The ECOOM-partners at KU Leuven and University of Antwerp are jointly recruiting a post-doctoral research fellow.
Applicants have the skills necessary to work with the bibliographic databases as well as with indicators drawn from these databases, and should have an interest in bibliometric methods, quantitative science and technology studies and quantitative aspects of communication in science and research policy.
The research fellow contributes to the processing, development, statistical analysis and interpretation of data, intended to initiate, structure, process and report research results and collaborates in the modelling of complex research problems and the application of corresponding analyses. He or she furthermore contributes to bibliometrics related work necessary to accomplish the mission of ECOOM.
The research fellow’s primary responsibilities will lie in contributing to a recently started ECOOM project on interdisciplinarity and impact of research. The aim of the project is conceptualising interdisciplinarity, developing and validating indicators of interdisciplinarity and its impact, and studying it from an applied and policy-oriented perspective.
- Candidates should have a completed PhD, a strong publication record and should have considerable research experience and original contributions in the field of bibliometrics and research evaluation.
- Candidates have knowledge of quantitative data processing, bibliometric and statistical methods, and skills in data science (e.g., Python, R) and information retrieval (relational databases, the most important bibliometric databases).
- Knowledge and practical skills are also expected in computer science, particularly, in the field of data and text mining, network analysis and visualisation techniques.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential; knowledge of other languages is an asset.
- a fulltime position with a 50/50 appointment at KU Leuven and University of Antwerp for a fixed term of four years with flexible starting date;
- an internationally oriented research environment;
- the salary will be determined in accordance with the legal salary grade systems existing at KU Leuven and the University of Antwerp.
How to apply?
Candidates are invited to apply online before 19 August 2019 at: https://www.kuleuven.be/personeel/jobsite/jobs/55243092?hl=en&lang=en
For more information about the postdoc positions, please contact Veronique Adriaenssens (firstname.lastname@example.org). More information on ECOOM can be found at the institutional website www.ecoom.be.
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.