The Center of Medical Genetics (CMG) Antwerp is a diagnostic and research institute within the University of Antwerp and the Antwerp University Hospital, comprising over 100 scientists, of which over 40 are fulltime engaged in research. GENOMED is a research consortium within CMG and is recognized as center of excellence within the University of Antwerp. GENOMED is looking for a
Postdoctoral researcher Bio-informatics
- You will supervise and manage a team of bio-informaticians who support the different research groups within GENOMED for the bio-informatic analysis of “omics” data, with a focus on next generation sequencing (genomics) data.
- You will develop new bioinformatics tools for the analysis and interpretation of genomic data obtained by next generation sequencing technology.
- You will help in the further development of the next generation sequencing platforms.
- You will support the researchers in data management and interpretation.
- You will join an enthusiastic team, with an established and extensive international research network.
- In your daily work, you will work in close collaboration with the existing research groups at the Center for Medical Genetics.
- You hold a doctorate degree (PhD) in bio-informatics or life sciences (e.g. biology, biochemistry, bioengineering, biomedical sciences or related discipline).
- You have strong ICT skills and you are eager to fully submerge into the world of bio-informatics.
- You have good experience with Linux and one or more programming languages as well as knowledge of statistical methods of analysis. Furthermore, a good background in human genetics and next-generation sequencing analyses is needed.
- You have leadership skills (or the potential to develop them).
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- Proficiency in English, and strong communication skills, both oral and written, are required.
- You are highly motivated, and you like to work in an interactive research team.
How to apply?
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.