The Leuven Institute for Healthcare Policy of the KU Leuven, the Faculty of Law of the University of Antwerp (Antwerp Health Law and Ethics Chair – AHLEC and the Research Group Personal Rights and Property Rights) are seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy for a
Doctoral student in the area of Health law
- You prepare a doctoral thesis in law in the area of health law.
- You publish academic articles related to the topic of your doctoral thesis.
- You will be employed at the Leuven Institute for Healthcare Policy of the KU Leuven and at the Research Group Personal Rights and Property Rights of the University of Antwerp.
- You contribute to research support and provide academic services in the respective faculties.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a master degree in law; students in the final year of their degree can also apply.
- You submit an English research proposal of maximum 5 pages on the topic, which includes the following headings: ‘state of the art’, ‘research objectives’, ‘methodology’ and ‘bibliography’. The proposal should allow you to successfully complete the PhD in 4 years. You also add an abstract in Dutch of maximum 1 page.
The two prior conditions are conditions of admissibility.
- You can submit outstanding academic results.
- A strong interest in health law is an asset.
- You have a good command of English and French, and excellent academic reading and writing skills.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- a full-time (100%) doctoral scholarship for a period of one year, with the possibility of renewal after positive evaluation, that will result in a joint PhD in Law from the KU Leuven and the University of Antwerp;
- a full time gross monthly grant ranging from € 2.373,36 - € 2.516,73;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date 7 October 2019. On application you submit the following documents:
- the above mentioned PhD proposal , including an abstract in Dutch;
- a detailed overview of your study grades;
- a letter of motivation
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place at 11 October 2019.
- More information about the application form can be obtained at email@example.com.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Steven Lierman (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Prof. Thierry Vansweevelt (email@example.com).
- The Institute for Healthcare Policy (LIHP) aims to be a top research and teaching centre at international level. The LIHP focusses on healthcare management and policy research. The LIHP entails 6 domains: quality and patient safety, health systems and policies, health economics, law in healthcare, communication in health care and, ethics healthcare.
- AHLEC stands for Antwerp Health Law and Ethics Chair. This chair has three objectives: to encourage independent, high-quality and critical research in the field of health law and ethics, including through more PhDs, publications and recommendations; to provide excellent education through a post-academic programme in Health Law and Ethics, with a modular system open to physicians, pharmacists, nurses, paramedics, staff members, directors, the insurance sector, hospital attorneys, advocates, magistrates, the government and students (effective 2014–2015); to organise conferences, evening study sessions and expert seminars as academic platforms for interdisciplinary discussion on topics from the field of health law and ethics.
- The research group Personal Rights and Property Rights of the University of Antwerp conducts fundamental, policy, and practice-oriented research into private (international) law. Its core legal fields are Law of Persons and Family Law; Family Property Law; Law of Obligations; Insurance Law; Property Law; Private International Law; and Health Law, which will be the core research field for the proposed PhD.
- For more information about the Leuven Institute for Healthcare Policy please visit https://www.kuleuven.be/samenwerking/ligb/Home, for more information about AHLEC please visit https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/chairs/antwerp-health-law-and-ethics-chair/ and for more information about the Research Group Personal Rights and Property Rights please visit https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/research-groups/personal-rights-and-property-rights and for more information.
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.