The Faculty of Science is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy, supported by European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme ,for two
PhD positions in Electrochemistry
Research group: AXES (https://www.uantwerpen.be/axes)
Supervisor: Professor Karolien De Wael; E-mail Karolien.DeWael@uantwerpen.be
Project Title: BorderSens - Border detection of illicit drugs and precursors by highly accurate electrosensors.
Project Description: BorderSens aims at developing electrochemical sensing devices for simultaneous detection of illicit drugs and precursors, in order to overcome the challenges posed by currently used on-site methods used by customs and police authorities. The system will combine research on electrochemical fingerprints of illicit drugs and precursors, together with strategies to unravel and enrich the fingerprint, and data capture and analysis. Our partners include three other universities and ten forensic institutes, border control and police authorities from 7 EU countries. University of Antwerp is coordinator of BorderSens.
- You prepare a doctoral thesis in the field of Electrochemistry.
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project of the assignment.
- You present your work at national and international workshops and conferences.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a master degree in chemistry, forensic science, physics, bioscience or applied engineering.
- You can submit outstanding academic results.
- Students in the final year of their degree can also apply.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- Background knowledge in electrochemistry is appreciated.
- In view of the international context, mastering of the English language (both oral and written) is mandatory.
- a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years, with the possibility of renewal for a further two-year period after positive evaluation;
- the start date of the scholarship is September 1, 2019 the latest;
- a dynamic and international working environment.
How to apply?
- Please send a detailed CV together with a motivation letter, a summary of your Bachelor and Master thesis and two reference letters by email before May 15, 2019 to BorderSens@gmail.com with clear subject indication ‘PhD vacancy – BorderSens - Chemistry”.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications by the selection panel.
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place in May 2019.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. dr. Karolien De Wael, 0032/3/265.33.35, BorderSens@gmail.com.
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.