In the framework of its Industrial Research Fund (IOF) and in support of applied research the Antwerp University Association (AUHA) is seeking to fill a full-time vacancy (m/f) as Valorisationmanager for the IOF consortium Antwerp Drug Discovery Network (ADDN). The consortium consists of the following research groups: Laboratory of Medicinal Chemistry, Laboratory of Microbiology, Parasitology and Hygiene; Laboratory of Medical Biochemistry, Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Technology and Biopharmacy, Laboratory for Pharmacognosy, Laboratory of Natural Products and Food Research and Analysis and The Laboratory of Pathophysiology. The research of ADDN is focused on multidisciplinary preclinical drug discovery.
The position is explicitly aimed at research valorisation. We expect you to set up projects with industrial partners, explore options for launching university spin-offs and establish project proposals for the European Horizon 2020 Programme, more specifically projects in collaboration with the business community (e.g. The Innovative Medicines Innitiative (IMI) programme). Your main duties will be to identify research ideas, that are mature enough for transfer to the industry and to take the necessary actions to realise this transfer. To achieve these goals, you need to have sufficient insight concerning the needs of the industrial landscape and you are expected to demonstrate sufficient knowledge related to the research topics and techniques of the consortium.
- You consolidate and expand the research consortium with the aim of:
- stimulating collaboration with industry
- building a knowledge and IP portfolio
- professional management of IOF related research projects
- exploring new opportunities for collaboration and valorisation
- You facilitate the increase of research funding within the consortium and support grant writing with primary focus on VLAIO and International grant agencies.
- As a member of ADDN you stimulate collaboration with other faculties / departments / research groups of the university, as well as with the university colleges belonging to the association (AUHA), and create national and international collaborative networks.
In summary, your efforts should be focused on valorisation of innovative research results and technologies obtained within the consortium aiming to contribute to the IOF-parameters of the association (AUHA) with primary focus on: industrial collaborations (Parameter 3), EU funding (Parameter 4), patents (Parameter 5) and spin-offs (Parameter 6).
Profile and requirements
- You are holder of a (bio)medical scientific master degree (pharmacist, physician, veterinarian, biochemist, biotechnologist, biologist, biomedical scientist, bio-engineer,…). A doctoral degree in the domain of the research consortium is preferred.
- Knowledge of the different steps in the pre-clinical drug research, with specific focus on the domain of the "small molecules" is recommended.
- You have at least 5 years of relevant expertise in research or organization of research related to preclinical drug discovery.
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset and possess strong administration and communication skills.
- You have a good feeling for both the academic and industrial sector.
- Relevant work experience in the industry is a strong asset:
- a good understanding of the ecosystem in which you will operate, with focus on the potential value proposition of projects that are ready for commercialization;
- basic knowledge of intellectual property protection;
- market intelligence.
- Experience in attracting external research funding from the private and public sector in the domain of applied research on national as well as international level is desirable.
- Knowledge of technology transfer processes needed to valorise academic research results and available technology as well as experience in managing a broad project portfolio is an advantage.
- Experience with EU projects and the related administration is also an advantage.
- Given the challenging position in both national and international context, the candidate is expected to be fluent in Dutch and English.
- Good knowledge of current MS Office software.
- Experience with project management.
- a permanent contract, depending on a positive evaluation;
- a full time gross monthly salary ranging from
- € 3.338,21 to € 6.272,13 for a junior profile (depending on academic qualifications and former professional experience)
- € 4.872,61 to € 8.708,66 for a senior profile (depending on academic qualifications and former professional experience)
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment;
- flexible working hours;
- 40 days of holiday + 1 week collective leave (between Christmas and New Year);
- reimbursement of public transport for home-work travel;
- bicycle allowance;
- date of appointment: as soon as possible.
How to apply?
- Please send your application with the mandatory application form, letter of interest, and curriculum vitae to email@example.com until the closing date: May 27, 2019.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel; for the selected candidates job interviews will take place June 27, 2019 in the morning.
- Information regarding the IOF can be obtained via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Dr. Koen Augustyns (Koen.Augustyns@uantwerpen.be).
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.