The Faculty of Design Sciences is seeking to fill the following full-time vacancy in the Department of Heritage
Tenured academic staff in the area of engineering sciences and sustainable restoration techniques in immovable heritage
- Your teaching assignment comprises 24 ECTS per year. You will contribute to courses within the curriculum Heritage Researcher and Heritage Restorer, both at bachelor's and master's level. Main topic is Heritage and Sustainability e.g. lifecycle, choice of materials (properties, applications and degradation) and sustainable restoration and re-use of immovable heritage with a focus on energy efficiency and comfort-enhancing measures geared to heritage values. It may concern courses such as: Historical construction and techniques (3 ECTS), Imaging: diagnosis and treatment (6 ECTS), Materials: properties, applications and degradation (6 ECTS), Heritage and sustainability (3 ECTS), Building physics & research (6 ECTS), Cases reconversion and sustainability (3 ECTS), Intervention techniques of heritage (6 ECTS), depending on your expertise.
- You will supervise bachelor, master and doctoral students.
- You will expand the scientific research in the area of sustainable conservation techniques in heritage.
- You will acquire and manage external funding (national and international).
- You will actively expand your relevant stakeholder network in the regional, national, European and international heritage sector.
- You will actively participate in internal policymaking.
- You will offer scientific services: among others you provide advice within and outside the University of Antwerp and act as an expert/reviewer for domestic and foreign institutions.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a doctorate degree (PhD) in (Applied) Engineering – Civil Engineering.
- You have several years of postdoctoral experience or equivalent.
- You preferably have expertise in the heritage sector with regard to sustainable restoration techniques in immovable heritage. Your expertise is complementary to the expertise within the research group Heritage & Sustainability.
- You can demonstrate experience in developing and executing research projects in the relevant field and in obtaining the necessary funds to finance it.
- Your scientific curriculum is internationally oriented and you perform high-quality scientific research in the (broader) heritage field.
- You are well acquainted with the heritage sector at Flemish, national and international level and you already poses a relevant stakeholder network.
- The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You have leadership skills (or the potential to develop them).
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- If you do not master Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a course unit coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members on an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- either a full-time position as a lecturer, in a temporary appointment in the tenure track for a term of five years. This position will lead to an immediate permanent appointment as a senior lecturer if the performance is assessed favourably on the basis of previously fixed and publicly announced evaluation criteria;
- or a full-time position as a senior lecturer or higher, generally entailing a permanent appointment. In the case of a first appointment to the corps of academic personnel (ZAP), the university board may proceed to a temporary appointment for a period not exceeding three years. This position will lead to a permanent appointment if the performance is assessed favourably;
- the date of appointment will be 1 February 2020;
- a gross monthly salary ranging for lecturer from € 4.255,06 - € 6.272,13; and for senior lecturer from € 4.872,61 - € 7.654,80;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date 18 August 2019.
- Your application should be supplemented with a cover letter, a research plan and an educational vision.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place on 30 September 2019.
- More information about the application form can be obtained from email@example.com.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Carolina van der Star, 0031 (0)6 242 70 206.
The University of Antwerp is a family friendly organization, with a focus on equal opportunities and diversity. Our HR-policy for researchers was awarded by the European Commission with the quality label HR Excellence in research.
We support the Science4Refugees initiative and encourage asylum-seeking, refugee scientists and researchers to apply for a job at the University of Antwerp.