The Faculty of Law is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy for a
PhD position in the area of constitutional law and fundamental rights
as part of the FWO-funded research project ‘Trojan horse discourse: the use and abuse of contemporary constitutional discourse for fundamental rights protection’. This project examines how authoritarian regimes (ab)use constitutional concepts to undermine fundamental rights protection. Applications are invited from excellent candidates who wish to conduct cutting-edge research combining legal analysis and discourse analysis. The PhD researcher will join the Government and Law research group at the Law Faculty and collaborate with the C-APP research group at the Arts Faculty.
- You conduct research leading to a PhD.
- You publish co-authored scientific articles related to the research project.
- You undertake (short) research stays in Hungary, Poland, and potential other CEE countries to organize an expert focus group.
- You co-organize an international expert seminar.
- You take on limited tasks of educational and research support within the Law faculty.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a master degree in law.
- You have affinity with EU, constitutional or fundamental rights law.
- You can submit outstanding academic results.
- Students in the final year of their degree can also apply.
- Foreign candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- You are interested in interdisciplinary research and prepared to familiarize yourself with the tools and procedures of discourse studies.
- You have an excellent knowledge of English. Knowledge of Hungarian and/or Polish is no requirement, but a plus.
- a doctoral scholarship for a period of two years, with the possibility of renewal for a further two-year period after positive evaluation, with October 1st 2020 as the start date of the scholarship;
- a gross monthly grant ranging from € 2.447,20 to € 2.596,27;
- a dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online, until the closing date April 3rd 2020 and should include a copy of your CV and a cover letter.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place between April 20 and 30, 2020.
- More information about the online application form can be obtained from email@example.com.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Patricia Popelier, firstname.lastname@example.org.
De Universiteit Antwerpen is een gezinsvriendelijke organisatie, met aandacht voor gelijke kansen en diversiteit. Ons HR-beleid voor onderzoekers werd door de Europese Commissie bekroond met het kwaliteitslabel HR Excellence in research.
We steunen het initiatief Science4Refugees en moedigen asielzoekers en vluchtelingen met een wetenschappelijk profiel aan om te solliciteren bij de Universiteit Antwerpen.