This PhD-seminar will be held in Antwerp! This PhD seminar is aimed towards the PhD´s in the first place, but everyone is more than welcome to give feedback to the presentations and to experience Geographical Information Systems (GIS) during our B-magic-practicum!
Date: Tuesday 5 march 2019, 10 to ca. 13h.
Place: Stadscampus UAntwerpen (room number will be communicated after we have a view on the participant number).
- Introduction to Geographic Information Systems (GIS) by Iason Jongepier (UA)
- What are GIS?
- Potential for B-magic
- Tips to prepare your data for spatial analysis
- PhD-presentation by Margo Buelens-Terryn (UA): “B-Magic in Space: Mapping of Lantern Infrastructure and its Socio-technological Context”
- PhD-presentation by Marte Van Hassel (ULB): “Projecting the Other. Colonial Representations and Missionary Propaganda in Belgian Magic Lantern Culture”
- GIS practicum (Iason Jongepier & Margo Buelens-Terryn, UA)
- During this practicum (ca. 1h30) you will get the chance to experience GIS yourself! We will learn you how to georeference a historical map, how to vectorize (historical) buildings, and how to link lantern related data to these places. In the end you will end up with a self-manufactured (hopefully nice) digital map!
- PC´s with ArcGIS will be provided.
Please confirm your attendance, prior to 23 februari 2019, to: firstname.lastname@example.org