European Project Semester is a programme offered by 11 European universities in 10 countries throughout Europe to students who have completed at least two years of study. EPS is created with engineering students in mind, but other students who can participate in an engineering project are also welcome.
It is crafted to address the design requirements of the degree and prepare engineering students with all the necessary skills to face the challenges of today’s world economy. EPS is a mixture of “Project Related Courses” and project organized/problem based learning. Students work in international and usually interdisciplinary teams of 3–6 students on their projects, and most of the projects are interdisciplinary. Some projects are done in cooperation with commercial businesses and industries, other projects are more academic. Students learn to learn and to take responsability for their learning and their project work and they develop their intercultural competences, their communication skills and their interpersonal skills.
There are minor differences between EPS at the various EPS-providers, but all providers have agreed on “The 10 Golden Rules of EPS”:
- English is the working language of EPS.
- EPS is multinational with a group size of min. 3 and max. 6 students being 4 — 5 the ideal number; min. 3 nationalities must be represented in an EPS-group.
- Ideally, but not necessarily, an EPS-project is multidisciplinary.
- An EPS-semester is 30 ECTS, the duration of which is not less than 15 weeks.
- An EPS-project is min. 20 ECTS and the subjects between 5 and 10 ECTS.
- The main focus on EPS is on teamwork.
- The subjects included in EPS must be project supportive; English and a basic crash course in the local language must be an option.
- The subjects must include Teambuilding in the very beginning and Project Management in the beginning of an EPS-semester.
- Project supervision/coaching must focus on the process as well as the product.
- EPS must have continuous assessment including an Interim Report and a Final Report.
Official website: http://www.europeanprojectsemester.eu