Below you can find the preliminary programme. There may still be small adjustments as we finalize the final programme. Next to the main course programme, there will also be opportunities for social activities, such as a group dinner and a guided tour through Antwerp (tbc).
It will be possible to follow a select number of lectures through live stream. Detailed information will be available soon.
Day 1: Data Impact and Preparedness
- Welcome & introduction
- Risk awareness quiz
- The cost of pandemics
- Chronic impact of a pandemic: example of long covid
- 10 steps of outbreak investigation (simulation)
- A new outbreak: from first data to models and back.
Day 2: Outbreak Management
- Pandemic preparedness: for which pathogens?
- A day in the life of the public health doctor (in Belgium, Netherlands)
- The silent pandemic of AMR
- Hospital outbreak management
- Simulation exercise: decision making processes with different stakeholders
- Communication in outbreaks
- Panel discussion on ethical issues in outbreaks
Day 3: Vaccination and Preparedness
- Vaccine confidence
- Simulation exercise: vaccine confidence and communication
- Vaccination in a public health crisis
- Vaccination in specific hosts
Day 4: High Consequence Infections
- Case simulation: VHF recognition and response
- Facility design exercise
- Quiz: the right PPE for the right pathogen
- Demo's at HLIU
- Clinical and diagnostic decisions for high consequences pathogens
- Social and familial aspects
- HLIU activities in difficult circumstances
A complete list of confirmed speakers and their bio will be published here soon.
Speakers that have so far confirmed their participation in this course include:
- Isabel Brosius, ITM Antwerp
- Erika Vlieghe, UZA, UAntwerpen
- Ziyad Al-Aly, Washington University in St. Louis
- Niel Hens, UHasselt, UAntwerpen
- Marc Van Ranst, UZ Leuven
- Patrick Smits, Vlaams Agentschap Zorg en Gezondheid (Flemish Agency for Care and Health)
- Alma Tostmann, Radboudumc
- Chantal Rovers, Radboudumc
- Pierre Van Damme, UAntwerpen
- Caroline Charlier, Université de Paris
- Yvan Somers, UZA
- Luca Zweers, Radboudumc
- Philippe Beutels, UAntwerpen
- Rafaella Ravinetto, ITM Antwerp
- Muge Cevik, University of St Andrews, Scotland
- Manon Tingen-Wieland, Radboudumc
Upon completion of the course, participants will receive a certificate of attendance.