The research is situated in the domain of organisation studies and strategic management, with a focus on understanding the functioning and effectiveness of organisations. All this is being analysed from different perspectives: strategy and organisation theory, human resource management, organisational psychology, organizational ecology, industrial organization, communication sciences, and more. Both in terms of theories applied and people employed, the Department stimulates multi-disciplinarity. This is also reflected in the topical breadth of research interests. Examples of current research themes are stress and well-being, career management, managerial decision-making, competitive processes and market dynamics, cooperation in organisations, top management team composition, strategic innovation in B2B-markets, professional communication and digital media. With the arrival of new staff in the context of the Odysseus initiative (see below), this range of topics will be further expanded to higher level of analyses, including cities, regions and countries.
In the field of organisation studies the following topics are representative:
- Top management team composition and diversity: functioning, performance impact and relation to strategy;
- Mobility of professionals, entry/exit in teams and organisations, and the effect on performance;
- Study of organisational diversity in different contexts, in terms of both the antecedents and consequences, and at different levels of analysis;
- Legitimacy of new organisational forms, and its relation to form emergence and industry evolution.
In the field of strategy the following topics are representative:
- Developing capabilities through networks;
- Strategy innovation in business markets;
- Determinants of growth in organisations and entrepreneurship;
- Purchasing and market strategy.
In the field of strategic decision-making, the following topics are representative:
- The role of cognition and emotion on control perception and strategic decision;
- Personality influences on cooperation and decision-making;
- Strategy-selection in social dilemma's;
- Strategic decision-making for cities, and for public and cultural entities.
In the field of human resources, the following topics are representative:
- Diversity management, and High Potential Management Development;
- HRM themes in diverse contexts, focusing on such issues as stress, competence management, work design and coaching;
- Competence management.
In the field of business communication the following topics are representative
- Writing and digital media;
- Cognitive aspects of writing processes in professional settings;
- Determinants of writing style in business and technical communication.