> About ACED
A CED, the A ntwerp C entre of Evolutionary Demography, is an international, multidisciplinary research centre of excellence of the Department of Management of the Faculty of Applied Economics at the University of Antwerp (Belgium). The ACED programme deals with the antecedents and consequences of demographic diversity in the realm of teams, organizations, industries, networks and communities. Diversity is studied by a demographically diverse research team currently harbouring about 25 scholars of over 10 different nationalities.
The Senior Research Professor vacancy at the Antwerp Centre of Evolutionary Demography (ACED) has recently been reopened.
We are looking for a Senior Research Professor who is willing to develop the future of ACED together with us and whose work fits into the major themes of our research centre. On the website you can find a description of what we have to offer. Note that the position allows one to almost fully concentrate on research for 10 years (with very limited teaching and administration obligations) after which one becomes part of the regular staff of the faculty. In addition, ACED is located in the center of Antwerp, which is a very nice city to live in, midway Amsterdam and Paris with easy connections to the High Speed Train to these cities and London. We would be very grateful if you could spread the news and pass the vacancy to everybody who might be interested. In case you want more information please do not hesitate to contact us. The closing date for application is January 6, 2013.
> Recent publications
A selection of new peer reviewed scientific journal publications by our members:
- Bogaert Sandy, Boone Christophe, van Witteloostuijn Arjen (2012).- Social value orientation and climate strength as moderators of the impact of work group cooperative climate on affective commitment.- In: The journal of management - 49:5(2012), p. 918-944.
- Boone Christophe , Wezel Filippo C., van Witteloostuijn Arjen (2012).- Joining the Pack or Going Solo ? A dynamic theory of new firm positioning.- In: Journal of Business Venturing.
- Boone Christophe , Brouwer Aleid, Jacobs Jan, van Witteloostuijn Arjen, de Zwaan Matthijs (2012).- Religious Pluralism and Organizational Diversity: an empirical test in the city of Zwolle, the Netherlands, 1851-1914 .- In: Sociology of Religion, 73:150-173.
- Declerck Carolyn H., Boone Christophe, Emonds Griet (2013).- When do people cooperate?The neuroeconomics of prosocial decision making. In: Brain and Cognition. 81, pp.95-117.
- García-Díaz César , Zambrana Gilmar, van Witteloostuijn Arjen (2012).- Changing dimensionality of the political issue space: Effects on political party competition .- In: Troitzsch K. G., Möhring M. and Lotzmann U. (Eds.) Proceedings of the European Conference on Modeling and Simulation ECMS, pp. 690-696.
- Kaufmann Wesley, van Witteloostuijn Arjen (2012).- European and National Rules as potential Red Tape Drivers: an Ecological Analysis of the Europeanization of Dutch Competition Law, 1962-2010.- In: International Public Management Journal.
- Kaufmann Wesley, van Witteloostuijn Arjen (2012).- The Ecology of EU Competition Law: a Quantitative Analysis of Rule Dynamics and Rule Stocks.- In: Erasmus Law Review. 4:143-159.
- Müehlfeld Katrin , Rao Sahib P., van Witteloostuijn Arjen (2012).- A Contextual Theory of Organizational Learning from Failures and Successes: a Study of Acquisition Completion in the Global Newspaper Industry, 1981-2008.- In: Strategic Management Journal. 33:938-964.
- Ramdani Dendi , van Witteloostuijn Arjen (2012).- The Shareholder–Manager Relationship and Its Impact on the Likelihood of Firm Bribery.- In: Journal of Business Ethics, 108(4): 495-507.
- Urbig Diemo , Monsen, E. (2012).- The structure of optimism: “Controllability affects the extent to which efficacy beliefs shape outcome expectancies”.- In: Journal of Economic Psychology, 33(4), pp. 854–867.
- Urbig Diemo , Weitzel Utz, Rosenkranz Stephanie, van Witteloostuijn Arjen (2012).- Exploiting Opportunities at All Cost? Entrepreneurial intent and externalities.- In: Journal of Economic Pychology, 33, pp. 379-393.
- van den Berg Annette & Yolanda Grift (2012).- ‘De economische effecten van medezeggenschap in de publieke sector’ In: H. Hartmann (red.), OR en invloed (In de reeks Overleg en medezeggenschap bij de overheid; Kluwer, Alphen aan den Rijn.
- Vanderstraeten Johanna , Matthyssens P. (2012).- Service-based differentiation strategies for business incubators: Exploring external and internal alignment, In: Technovation. Online available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.technovation.2012.09.002.
- van Witteloostuijn Arjen (2012).- Why the European Union is not delivering: an Essay on the Role of Multidimensional Diversity.- In: European Review. 20:365-375.
> Upcoming Seminars
- Dec. 3rd Jim Wade (Goizueta Business School, Emory University)
‘Negative returns to status among British MPs:
The 2009 expense scandal and its impact on parliamentary elites’
- Dec. 11 th Petru Curseu (Tilburg University)
‘Group rationality as cognitive synergy’
- Dec. 18th Dries Faems (University of Groningen)
‘Connecting alliance portfolio diversity, alliance portfolio management, and innovation performance’
- Jan. 15th Erik Stam (Utrecht University)
‘The allocation of entrepreneurship across new and established organizations’
> New Grants
We are proud to announce a new FWO postdoctoral grant for Tine Buyl.
- The impact of executive characteristics, compensation and institutional context on organizational behavior and performance.
- Wesley Kaufmann has successfully defended his PhD thesis: "Rule Ecology, Europeanization, and Red Tape: Four Empirical Studies on Rule Dynamics".
- The doctoral defense of Anil Divarci is scheduled on January 24th 2013 at the University of Antwerp.
- Tine Buyl is the winner of the bi-annual award "Em. prof. dr. Albert Beken" 2012.
This prize has been created in 2004 for innovating doctoral research in the field of applied economics at the University of Antwerp.
- The BELSPO team won the award for the best conceptual paper of the CIFEPME congress. The paper was presented by the Walloon collaborators of the BELSPO team: Julie Hermans and Marcus Dejardin, both affiliated to the University of Namur, Belgium.
Several changes have taken place in the composition of our team in the recent months.
- Anil Divarci is currently post-doctoral research fellow at the School of Management of the Sabanci University of Istanbul.
- Nathalie Vallet has accepted a professorship at the Faculty of Design Sciences of the University College Antwerp-Artesis.
- Diemo Urbig is currently assistant professor for entrepreneurship, innovation and corporate change at Jackstäd Center of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Research at the University of Wuppertal.
- Marloes Rothengatter has joined the Antwerp COMPOSITE team (50%).
- Wesley Kaufmann has accepted an assistant professorship in the Accounting Department at the Faculty of Economics and Business of the University of Groningen.
- Ad van den Oord moved to the UK as postdoctoral research fellow (Composite Project) at the Durham University Business School.