Mathematical modelling has proven to be very helpful in unravelling the relationship between form and function in animals.
To this end, Funmorph uses the professional engineering simulation software package by ANSYS for computational biomechanical models. This software runs on a Dell Precision T5500 workstation (two six-core processors; 24 Gb RAM), and includes a modelling environment suited for structural mechanics (finite element analysis or FEA), fluid mechanics (computational fluid dynamics or CFD), multiphysics (e.g. fluid-structure interactions or FSI), and explicit dynamics (e.g. impact models, ANSYS APDL solver), rigid or flexible multibody dynamics. Our current license (version 14.0, released 2011) includes:
- ANSYS DesignModeler: a 2D and 3D CAD program. (download brochure [pdf] )
- ANSYS TGrid: a 3D finite volume meshing program specifically designed for scan data import (e.g. STL) to be used in computational fluid dynamics.(brochure [pdf])
- ANSYS ICEM CFD: a general purpose 2D and 3D meshing program.(brochure [pdf])
- ANSYS Meshing: the standard meshing program included in the ANSYS Workbench environment.(brochure [pdf])
- ANSYS Workbench: allows integration of the different ANSYS solvers to study diverse Multiphysics problems.(brochure [pdf])
- ANSYS Fluent and ANSYS CFX: finite volume CFD software for a wide range of flows, including turbulence, multiphase, heat transfer, dynamic meshes, acoustics.(Fluent brochure [pdf], CFX brochure [pdf])
- ANSYS CFD Post: user-friendly program for CFD output solution visualizations, animations, extraction of graphs, model comparisons.(brochure [pdf])
- ANSYS Mechanical: Finite element analysis tools, including add-on modules for transient structural simulation, rigid or flexible multibody dynamics.(structural mechanics brochure [pdf], rigid dynamics brochure [pdf])
- ANSYS Autodyn: an explicit analysis tool for modelling nonlinear dynamics of solids, fluids and gasses as well as their interaction.(brochure [pdf])
For surface triangulation, mesh editing or STL repair, Funmorph has single computer licenses for VRmesh 5.0 Studio and Geomagic Capture v11 (brochure [pdf]) as part of our laser scanning system.
- Van Wassenbergh S, Brecko J, Aerts P, Stouten I, Vanheusden G, Camps A, Van Damme R & Herrel A (2010). Hydrodynamic constraints on prey-capture performance in forward-striking snakes. J. R. Soc. Interface. Published online.
- Van Wassenbergh S & Aerts P (2008) Rapid pivot feeding in pipefish: flow effects on prey and evaluation of simple dynamic modelling via computational fluid dynamics. J. R. Soc. Interface. 5: 1291-1301.
- Van Wassenbergh S & Aerts P (2009) Aquatic suction feeding dynamics: insights from computational modelling. J. R. Soc. Interface. 6, 149-158.
Info for users
- How to reserve the ANSYS computer at the laboratorium for functional morphology: instructions [pdf]
- How to access the ANSYS computer using remote desktop on a windows computer (campus or VPN connected): instructions [pdf]
Funded by Research Grants of the Fund for Scientific Research - Flanders (Belgium)(FWO-Vl.) to Sam Van Wassenbergh and Herbert Peremans (Active Perception Lab, Dept. Milieu, Technologie en Technologiemanagement) and a Special Research Grant from the Universiteit Antwerpen to Sam Van Wassenbergh.