The HEFS Platform provides an opportunity for PhD fellows and junior researchers to complete and disseminate stagnating or sleeping research outputs via the fourth Completion Grant Call. It contributes to two main objectives of the platform:
- Strengthening Research Capacity within and between Universities in Uganda;
- Disseminating results, findings and policy recommendations of research to local and international policymakers and other stakeholders.
The possible output categories are a scientific article, a research paper (or another publication) or a PhD defense. The proposal should aim at harvesting research results of finished projects related to health, environmental and food security and should be in line with the existing VLIR-UOS Country Strategies.
PhD fellows and junior researchers from the following Universities can apply:
- Mountains of the Moon University
- Uganda Christian University
- Uganda Martyrs University
- Makerere University
- Mbarara University
- Gulu University,
- Kyambogo University
- Busitema University
Do read the eligibility criteria and mode of application as described in the Call's modalities text (download below).
All of the targeted output should be relevant for bringing about development or social change in Uganda and the institute the applicant is affiliated with. This may include:
- A research paper published in an internationally indexed scientific journal.
- A PhD defense: if the candidate has sufficient data or output, the support may lead to finalize a PhD trajectory.
- Other output such as a monograph, or a (chapter in) book is also possible.
Depending on the needs the PhD student may be offered among others a Short Research Stay in Belgium (or elsewhere) or a capacity building course (preferably in Uganda but online or abroad is possible as well), attendance to a conference, etc. All modalities are described in the full Call text, to be downloaded below. Under no conditions will the applicant be rewarded a lump sum amount of funding.
- Read the Modalities of the Call in order to fully understand the concept of the Call, the required output and possible awards. Also make sure you are eligible before you apply.
- Send the 1) application form, 2) a recent CV (max. 2 pages) and 3) a letter of support (or e-mail) from your supervisor in one email to firstname.lastname@example.org. The subject of the mail should state “HEFS Completion Grant Call Application NAME + first name”. Submission deadline is 12 May 2017.
- From 13-28 May the Ugandan and Flemish coordinators will screen and assess all eligible candidates.
- During the HEFS Joint Steering Committee 29-30 May 2017 all pre-selected candidates will be presented and their selection ratified.
- June 2017: Notification of the selection results to the candidates
- July – December 2017 (possibly also in 2018): Rewarding of the selected scholars
Modalities Call 2017 (PDF - 577kB)
Application Form 2017 (Word doc - 203kB)