On January 22nd 2009, in Brussels, the founding of the European Nanoporous Materials Institute of Excellence INSIDE-PORes, ENMIX was signed by 10 European Research Centres and Universities: University of Antwerp (BE), TUDelft (NL), SINTEF (NO), University of Alicante (ES), University of Stuttgart (DE), University of Hannover (DE), University of Leipzig (DE), CERTH (EL), Demokritos (EL), IFE (NO).
The University of Antwerp, represented by the Laboratory of Adsorption and Catalysis within the Department of Chemistry, is one of the founding members.
The objectives of ENMIX are to promote excellence and to coordinate research in the area of preparation, characterization and industrial applications of nanoporous materials.
More specifically, the ENMIX mission is as follows:
As an independent and customer driven European Nanoporous Materials Institute of Excellence, the ENMIX mission is to offer:
- Innovative technological solutions
- Unique scientific measuring expertise and facilities and
- Science-based advice and training
with the goal of stimulating sustainable development and strengthening the economic and societal development in Europe,
Moreover, ENMIX aims to
- promote excellence and coordinate high-level research in the areas of preparation, characterisation and industrial application of nanoporous materials
- be an internationally renowned platform for research into the field of the synthesis of porous materials, sorbents, membranes and catalysis
- be a preferred partner with high-quality infrastructures and expertise in development and application of new and improved measurement services
- be a key contributor to positioning Europe internationally with regard to sustainable development
The foundation act was followed by the election of the Board of Directors. University of Antwerp, University Stuttgart, University of Alicante and CERTH are members of the Board of Directors. For the University of Antwerp the representatives in the Board are Prof. P. Cool and Prof. Em. E. Vansant. Moreover, Prof. Vansant was elected as CEO of this institute.
More information is available on the website of ENMIX