History of the Ruusbroec Institute

The Ruusbroec Institute was founded in 1925 by four Jesuit scholars of Dutch philology: Desideer Stracke, Jozef Van Mierlo, Leonce Reypens and Jan-Baptist Poukens. Their mission was to study the history of spirituality in the Low Countries until 1750. These founding scholars were extremely productive: they founded a library (1925), published a journal (Ons Geestelijk Erf - 1927) and a series of books (Studiën en Tekstuitgaven van Ons Geestelijk Erf*).

The Ruusbroec Institute remained an independent research institute until 1973 when it became part - without losing its identity - of the also Jesuit-founded University Faculties of Saint-Ignatius Antwerp (UFSIA) and the present University of Antwerp in 2003. It is affiliated to the Faculty of Arts, and within the Faculty the Institute has a semi-autonomous position.

Our history in images


On sale: old publications

*some books in the series Studiën enTekstuitgaven van Ons Geestelijk Erf are still in stock and can be ordered via the Ruusbroec Institute.