The Faculty of Applied Engineering is seeking to fill the following full-time vacancy in the Research Group of Energy & Materials in Infrastructure and Buildings (EMIB):
a full-time academic assistant in the area of Construction
Link to the proposed research plan (pdf): Structural analysis and feasibility study for heavy loaded roads containing a Heat Exchanging Asphalt Layer
- You prepare a doctoral thesis in the field of material characterization, Finite Element Modelling and structural design on the topic of “Structural analysis and feasibility study for heavy loaded roads containing a Heat Exchanging Asphalt Layer” (50%).
- You contribute to teaching and research in the Construction department of the Faculty of Applied Engineering, including guiding scientific projects, bachelor and master theses related to your research and as main teaching assignments: exercise sessions in 3-Surveying, 5‑Geotechnics and I-Geotechnical stability (50%).
- You publish scientific articles related to the research project of the assignment.
Profile and requirements
- You hold a degree in Master of Industrial Sciences: Construction or Electromechanics; Master in Architectural Engineering, MSc in Civil Engineering or Master in Electromechanical Engineering; or equivalent (e.g. MSc in Civil Engineering and Management, MSc in Construction Management and Engineering, …).
- You can submit outstanding academic results.
- Students in the final year of their degree can also apply.
- You are driven to publish about your own and your team’s research results in scientific journals;
- You are prepared to work on a multidisciplinary and challenging research topic. An interest and experience with FE modelling (COMSOL Multiphysics), (civil) material characterization, knowledge of asphalt pavements, LCA analysis, … will be considered a bonus.
- The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university and you have a good background in geotechnics/soil mechanics. Knowledge of geotechnical simulation software from DELTARES and Eurocode 7 ‘Geotechnical Design’ will be considered an asset.
- Your academic qualities comply with the requirements stipulated in the university’s policy.
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- Good English language skills are essential and preferably, you can demonstrate the results of an IELTS or other language test. A master thesis written in English can also be considered as proof.
- An appointment as an academic assistant for a period of two years, with the possibility of renewal twice for a further two-year period after positive evaluation.
- The earliest date of appointment will be 1 October 2018.
- A full time gross monthly salary ranging from € 3.272,69 - € 5.538,41.
- A dynamic and stimulating work environment.
How to apply?
- Applications may only be submitted online until the closing date 15 August 2018.
- A pre-selection will be made from amongst the submitted applications. The remainder of the selection procedure is specific to the position and will be determined by the selection panel.
- All candidates have to submit a SWOT (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats) analysis of their own profile related to the project proposal. The project proposal can be found at https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/staff/cedric-vuye/my-website/. The SWOT analysis has to be uploaded as a separate document at the online application and will be explained in max. 5 minutes by the candidate during the interview, if they have been selected.
- The interviews of the candidates, preselected by a selection panel, will take place in the week of 27 August 2018.
- For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact prof. Cedric Vuye (email@example.com).
- More information about the application form can be obtained from firstname.lastname@example.org.