Filip Lemic received his BSc and MSc in electrical engineering from the University of Zagreb, Croatia in 2010 and 2012, respectively. In 2017, he obtained his PhD (magna cum laude) at the Telecommunication Networks Group (TKN) of the Technische Universität Berlin, Germany. In 2014, he was awarded a three-years long Young Scientists' scholarship by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). He was a visiting researcher at the Qualcomm Ubiquitous SWARM Lab and Berkeley Wireless Research Center (BWRC) of the University of California, Berkeley, US in 2015 and 2016, respectively. His research stay was supported by the UC Berkeley's stipend for visiting scholars. In 2018, he took a short break from the academia and joined FIWARE Foundation as a senior research engineer and technology consultant. Currently, he is a post-doctoral researcher at the Internet Technology and Data Science Lab (IDLab) of the University of Antwerp, Belgium. He is also a senior researcher at the imec research institute. He has co-authored more than 40 peer-reviewed scientific papers. He has been involved in a number of international research projects, notably EU EVARILOS, EU eWine, NIST's PerfLoc, and UC Berkeley's beyond-5G (xG).
His research interests include context and location-aware, mmWave, THz, sub-GHz, battery-less, and opportunistic communication, as well as testbed infrastructures and performance evaluation in wireless networks.
- August 2019 - Paper accepted at IEEE IoT Journal!
- August 2019 - Paper accepted at S3 Workshop of ACM Mobicom 2019!
- August 2019 - Paper accepted at IEEE Globecom 2019!
- July 2019 - Paper accepted at ACM NanoCom 2019!
We are offering the following master thesis / internship topics:
Filip Lemic, Vlado Handziski, Michiel Aernouts, Thomas Janssen, Rafael Berkvens, Adam Wolisz, and Jeroen Famaey, "Regression-based Estimation of Individual Errors in Fingerprinting Localization", IEEE Access, 2019
Giuseppe Caso, Luca De Nardis, Filip Lemic, Vlado Handziski, Adam Wolisz, and Maria-Gabriella Di Benedetto, "ViFi: Virtual Fingerprinting WiFi-based Indoor Positioning via Multi-Wall Multi-Floor Propagation Model", IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 2019
- Filip Lemic, Arash Behboodi, Jeroen Famaey, Rudolf Mathar, “Location-based Discovery and Vertical Handover in Heterogeneous Low-Power Wide-Area Networks”, accepted for publication at IEEE Internet of Things Journal, 2019
Filip Lemic, Vlado Handziski, Jeroen Famaey, "Toward Regression-based Estimation of Localization Errors in Fingerprinting-based Localization", 89th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC-Spring), 2019
Filip Lemic, Raja Usman Akbar, Johann Marquez-Barja, Jeroen Famaey, "Assessing the Reliability of Energy Harvesting Terahertz Nanonetworks for Controlling Software-Defined Metamaterials", 6th ACM International Conference on Nanoscale Computing and Communication (NanoCom), 2019
Filip Lemic, Johann Marquez-Barja, Jeroen Famaey, "Modeling and Reducing Idling Energy Consumption in Energy Harvesting Terahertz Nanonetworks", IEEE Global Communications Conference (GlobeCom), 2019
Filip Lemic, Jeroen Famaey, "Artificial Neural Network-based Estimation of Individual Localization Errors in Fingerprinting", submitted for publication, 2019
Konstantinos Kousias, Giuseppe Caso, Özgü Alay, and Filip Lemic, "Empirical Analysis of LoRaWAN Adaptive Data Rate for Mobile Internet of Things Applications", 11th ACM Wireless of the Students, by the Students, and for the Students (S3) Workshop at 25th ACM Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom), 2019
Technical Program Committee Membership
- IEEE INFOCOM'19 Workshop on Ultra-High Broadband Terahertz Communication for 5G and Beyond Networks (UBTCN’19)
- IEEE ICC'19 Workshop on Advances in Network Localization and Navigation (ANLN'19)
- IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 
- IEEE Internet of Things Journal [2018-2019]
- IEEE Access 
- MDPI Sensors [2018-2019]
Reviewing Activities - Conferences
- 20th IEEE International Symposium on a World of Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks (WoWMoM), 2019
- 30th IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), 2019