Iskander De Bruycker is an Assistant Professor at Maastricht University and an honorary research fellow at the University of Antwerp. Before, he was affiliated with the European University Insitute in Florence, the University of Aarhus and the University of Amsterdam. Iskander's research activities lie in the fields of European public policy, political communication and interest group politics. He has published on these topics in journals such as the European Journal of Political Research, the Journal of Common Market Studies, Governance and Political Communication. He is a member of the editorial board of the Journal of European Public Policy. Iskander teaches classes on European integration, civil society, EU public affairs, interest group politics and research methods. He is a member of the steering committee of the ECPR standing group on interest groups and the steering board of the Flemish Political Science Association. Iskander obtained his PhD in 2015 at the University of Antwerp.
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Stevens, F., & De Bruycker, I. (2020). Influence, affluence and media salience: Economic resources and lobbying influence in the European Union. European Union Politics.
- Hanegraaff, M., & De Bruycker, I.(2020). Informational demand across the globe: toward a comparative understanding of information exchange. European Political Science Review.
- Willems, E., & De Bruycker, I. (2019). Balancing constituency and congruence: How constituency involvement affects positional congruence between organized interests and the general public. Governance. available online
- De Bruycker, I. (2019). Democratically deficient, yet responsive? How politicization facilitates responsiveness in the European Union. Journal of European Public Policy. available online
- Lucas, K., Hanegraaff, M., & De Bruycker, I. (2019). Lobbying the lobbyists: when and why do policymakers seek to influence advocacy groups in global governance?. Interest Groups & Advocacy. 8(2): 208-232.
- De Bruycker, I., Berkhout, J. & Hanegraaff, M. (2019). The paradox of collective action: Linking interest aggregation and interest articulation in EU legislative lobbying. Governance. 32(2): 295-312.
- De Bruycker, I. (2019). Blessing or curse for advocacy? How media presence helps advocacy groups to achieve their policy goals. Political Communication. 36(1): 103-126.
- De Bruycker, I. & Beyers J. (2019). Lobbying strategies and success: Inside and outside lobbying in EU legislative politics. European Political Science Review. 11(1): 57-74.
- Wonka, A., De Bruycker, I., De Bièvre, D., Braun, C. & Beyers, J. (2018). Patterns of conflict and mobilization: Mapping interest group activity in EU legislative policymaking. Politics & Governance. 6(3): 136–146.
- De Bruycker, I. (2017). Politicization and the public interest: When do the elites in Brussels address public interests in EU policy debates? European Union Politics. 18(4) 603–619
- Beyers J. & De Bruycker I. (2017). Lobbying makes (strange) bedfellows: Explaining the Formation and Composition of Lobbying Coalitions in EU Legislative Politics. Political Studies. Available Online
- De Bruycker, I. (2016). Power and position: Which EU party groups do lobbyists prioritize and why? Party Politics. 22(4): 552–562.
- De Bruycker (2016). Framing and advocacy: A research agenda for interest group studies. Journal of European Public Policy. 24(5): 775-787.
- Hanegraaff, M., Beyers, J. & De Bruycker, I. (2016). Balancing inside and outside lobbying: The political strategies of lobbyists at global diplomatic conferences. European Journal of Political Research. 55(3): 568–588.
- De Bruycker (2015). Pressure and expertise: Explaining information supply in EU legislative lobbying. JCMS: Journal of Common Market Studies. 54(3): 599–616.
- De Bruycker, I. & Beyers, J. (2015). Balanced or biased? Interest groups and legislative lobbying in the European news media. Political Communication. 32 (3): 453-474.
- Beyers, J., De Bruycker, I. & Baller, I. (2014). The alignment of parties and interest groups in EU legislative politics: A tale of two different worlds? Journal of European Public Policy. 22(4).
- De Bruycker, I. & Walgrave, S. (2015). How a new issue becomes an owned issue. Media and the Fincancial Crisis in Belgium. International Journal of Public Opinion Research. 26(1): 86-97
- Beyers, J., Braun, C., Marshal, D. & De Bruycker, I. (2014). Let’s Talk! On the practice and method of interviewing policy experts. Interest Groups & Advocacy. 3 (2): 174-187
- De Bruycker, I. (2016). Agenda setting, policies, and political systems by Christopher Green-Pedersen and Stefaan Walgrave. Journal of Politics. 78(3): e15-e16.
- De Bruycker, I. (2015). News Frames and National Security: Covering Big Brother by Douglas M. McLeod and Dhavan V. Shah. Journal of Communication. 65(6): e7-e9.
- De Bruycker, I. (2014). Functional and Territorial Interest Representation in the EU by Michèle Knodt , Christine Quittkat and Justin Greenwood (eds). Political Studies Review, 12: 150–151.
- De Bruycker, I. (2013). Constructing a Policy-Making State? Policy Dynamics in the EU by Jeremy Richardson (ed.). West European Politics, 36(5): 1116-1117.
- De Bruycker, I. (2012). Policy framing in the European Union, by Falk Daviter. Journal of Common Market Studies. 50(6): 1045.
Media & blog (a selection)
- De Bruycker, I. (2010, 10 27). Nieuwe verkiezingen. De Morgen
- De Bruycker, I. (2010, 11 27). Redding is de ondergang. De Morgen
- De Bruycker, I. (2011, 04 07). Nieuwe koning van België. De Morgen
- De Bruycker, I. (2012, 02 17). Nucleair forum. De Morgen
- De Bruycker, I. (2012, 09 11). Zwitserse bankenlobby. De Morgen
- De Bruycker, I. (2012, 09 27). De Wever versus de media. De Morgen
- De Bruycker, I. (2013, 12 23). Bierlobby & co. De Morgen
- Beyers, J. & De Bruycker, I. (2015, 03, 19). Brussel, een speeltuin voor lobbyisten? Apache
- Beyers, J., De Bruycker, I. & Baller, I. (2015, 06, 19) Birds of a feather flock together: why EU party and interest group alignments reflect the left-right political cleavage. LSE EUROPP Blog
- De Bruycker, I. (2015, 12, 09). David en Goliath in Brussel. Stuk Rood Vlees
- De Bruycker, I. (2016, 06,02). David and Goliath in Brussels: Lobbying strategies and success in the EU. LSE EUROPP Blog
- De Bruycker, I. (2016). Politieke Druk of Expertise? De Informatiestromen van Lobbyisten naar EU Beleidsmakers Uitgelicht. Res Publica. 58(3): 377-380.
- De Bruycker, I. (2017, 07, 27). How business lobbyists thrive in the EU’s depoliticised media world. LSE EUROPP Blog
- De Bruycker, I. (2017, 07, 27). De Bruycker, I. (2017, 07, 27). How the EU elite publicises its high-profile work and stays silent about the rest. LSE BREXIT Blog
Statute & functions
Bijzonder academisch personeel
- unpaid staff