To be eligible for the Master programme in Biology, specialisation 'Biodiversity: Conservation and Restoration', a student should have a strong scientific background including basic knowledge of mathematics, physics, and inorganic and organic chemistry. Knowledge of the basic principles of statistics is crucial.
Candidates should also be acquainted with plants, animals and other organisms (diversity, evolution, cell biology, biochemistry, physiology, genetics, etc.), but familiarity with ecology in particular is a necessity. In addition, an understanding of the physical environment (soil, water, air) is useful. Students also need to have basic computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, …). If basic computer skills are lacking, it is strongly recommended to take tutoring before coming to Belgium.
Students with diplomas from outside the Flemish community
All bachelor degrees in the field of Science, Applied Sciences or Life Sciences that have a strong focus on biology will be considered by a board of admission of the specific programme (e.g. Biology, Bio-engineering, Environmental science, ...).
Students with diplomas of the Flemish community
- holders of the diploma of Bachelor in Biology
Admission after permission
- for holders of an academic bachelor or master in exact, medical, engineering or industrial sciences
The programme is taught in English and candidates must be proficient in this language.
Candidates with a bachelor degree from universities outside Flanders are required to demonstrate their English language skills in one of the following ways:
- By submitting proof that they have studied at least one academic year in an English-language Bachelor's or Master's programme. The Board of Admission may ask additional proof of your proficiency in English.
- Applicants can also prove their knowledge on the basis of a language certificate showing their TOEFL or IELTS results:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language, organized by ETS): paper-based TOEFL level of minimum 550, or an internet-based TOEFL level of minimum 79-80. You can find more information on the TOEFL-website
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): a minimum score of at least 6.5, and on each part minimum 6.0. You can find more information on the IELTS-website
Candidates with a bachelor degree from a Flemish university are strongly advised to take a test to assure they possess the necessary language skills to succesfully complete the programme.