Antwerp is an affordable alternative to many others European cities. Registration fees, and what is included in these fees, vary between summer schools.
In general, all course materials, coffee breaks and social programme activities are included. Depending on the summer school you apply for, accommodation, lunch and/or dinner can also be included. Some summer schools organised by Antwerp Summer University offer scholarships for specific target groups. Please refer to the website of the summer school you are interested in to find out more.
If accommodation is not included, students should count for €20 - €90 per night, depending on the type. A list of accommodation options can be provided upon acceptance to the summer school:
- The rent of a student room with common or shared facilities (kitchen and sanitary) amounts to €130 until €250 per week.
- The cost of staying at a hostel is between €20 and €25 per night for a bed in a dormitory, and around €35 per night for a single room.
- The price of a single or double room in hotels amounts to €55 until €90 per night, breakfast included.
If lunch is not included, participants are entitled to paying a discounted price at the student restaurants by showing their student card. The price of a sandwich amounts to €3 until €5. The price of warm lunch at the student restaurants or cafeterias is between €5 and €7.
Participants staying at student rooms or hostels can generally prepare their own dinner in a shared kitchen. Pita, French fries or Pizza can be purchased for under €10 at several places all over town. Dinner at a regular restaurant can cost between €15 and €25.
All participants are insured for third party liability and accidents during summer school activities. Additional insurances (e.g. health and travel), as well as travel costs are the participant’s own responsibility.
Below you can find a simulation for a participant attending the two week summer school Experience Entrepreneurship, where lunch and accommodation are not included in the registration fee:
- Registration fee: €750
Includes course materials, coffee breaks, all social activities and farewell dinner.
- Accommodation at student room: € 250
- Breakfast and lunch (around €6/day, 14 days): €85
- Dinner (around €15/day on average, 13 days): €195
- Recreation, visits and personal expenses: €100
Conclusion: the total cost for attending this summer school would be around €1380 for two weeks. Travel, visa costs and additional insurances (e.g. health and travel) are not included in this simulation.