Extension of your residence card is possible through the International Relations Office.
Procedure and documents
You have to submit the following documents:
- a completed, signed and dated information sheet for extension;
- a proof of scholarship OR a legalized proof of sponsorship (annex 32) OR a proof of solvency (blocked university account);
- a study certificate Foreign Students' Office (new document !) for academic year 2019-2020. You can download the study certificate from SisA (Documents > Study cert. Foreign Students' Office). Please note this certificate is only available in Dutch;
- proof of a valid public or private health insurance for Belgium. A recent certificate of insurability (verklaring van lidmaatschap) in case of a Belgian health insurance provider.
- a color copy of your passport
- a color copy of your current residence card
- For bachelor and master students only: the transcript of records document (= official study results), signed and stamped by the faculty administration.
Scan each document (not each page) and give each document the correct name according to the guidelines. You can scan your documents in the university library.
Mail the required items as separate documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject name: residence permit extension.
The International Relations Office will send your application file to the Antwerp Immigration Office. After approval an appointment date and time is set for you. You will receive an email with the appointment details.
At the appointment you will present:
- your passport and Belgian residence card (A-card)
- one passport picture
Make sure to send in your application for extension 15 days before expiry date of your residence card.
A late application will automatically be declared inadmissable by the immigration services.
Add extra days for processing through the university International Relations Office.
Due to the peak period in September and October at the International Students Desk of the Immigration Office, you are strongly advised to send in your application for extension 4 to 6 weeks before the expiry date of your residence permit.
If you have second session exams in August and September, you have to wait until you have received the official exam results from your faculty administration.
Do not send in your application both through the International Relations Office and through the Immigration Office in Deurne. That will only complicate matters.
You will have to pay 24.20 euros, preferably by credit card.
If you need your residence card within a very short period of time, an urgent procedure (within 3 to 4 working days) or a very urgent procedure (within 2 to 3 working days) can be requested at Gate15.
Prices for the residence card will then be 109 euros (urgent) and 152.60 euros (very urgent).